Chapter 12 - Imran

Ever since Siyyama told me to stop trying to win her heart, I decided to isolate myself from her. I stopped chatting with her and also stopped viewing her statuses on social media.

I was expecting her to reach out to me or try working things out but she never did that, it was as if she never even cared. Anyways, our friendship was complicated now!

Today I went to check my filling station, the one gifted to me by my dad. My manager, Mallam Garba briefed me about the business and how things worked there before introducing me to all the employees there.

"This is our new owner" he apprised them.

And with smile and bewilderment on their faces, they greeted and welcomed me. "It's nice meeting you sir" They said.

"Nice meeting you too" I responded.

"Thank you sir!" They chorused.

"Good, you can all return back to your work now" I dismissed them.

"Okay sir" They said and dispersed.

...

"They looked so happy" Mallam Garba said to me as we began heading to his office, he was referring to the workers.

"Yeah, but why if I may ask?" I wrinkled a brow at him.

"Well, it's probably because I used to say good things about you whenever I bring your topic up to them" he said. 

"Oh! What do you used to tell them?" I asked out of curiosity. 

"I used to tell them you are kind, intelligent, vibrant..." he replied as I cut in,

"Hmm, Mallam Garba kenan" I shook my head smiling.

"Yes" he giggled.

"Nice!" I muttered.

When we were finally in his office, we talked for a while before he excused himself to go out and settle our tank drivers.

The moment he left I began going through almost all the files I found on his desk before eventually falling asleep there. I was kind of exhausted actually.

While snoozing, I was awoken by the sudden outburst of my phone's ringing tone. It was Barirah, I sighed and quickly picked the call. "Hello" I said.

"AsSalama Alaykum, good afternoon" she greeted.

"Wa'alaykumus Salam, afternoon" I muttered.

"Wait, were you sleeping? Your voice sound somehow" she queried.

"Yes, I was. But I am awake now, what happened?" I said as she hummed,

"Sorry I woke you up. Actually, I just called to tell you I was in your house earlier but then Hajiya told me ka je wajan aiki" she said and continued, "Anyways I dropped some snacks for you, hopefully you will like them"

"Okay, thank you. I will call you as soon as I reach home" I said eager to end the call and return back to sleep.

"Toh, I will be expecting your call. Take care please" she said.

"In Shaa Allah. You too" I said and ended the call.

...

After the call, I tried all my utmost best to return back to sleep but it seemed the sleep was gone already. Out of frustration I hissed, took my car keys from the desk and headed out of the office.

I walked over to Mallam Garba as he sat comfortably in a plastic chair outside with his leg crossed while monitoring the workers, "I am leaving" I apprised him.

"So soon?" he asked.

"Yeah!" I huffed.

"Okay then, see you tomorrow sir" he said.

"Alright" I said before waving at the workers and walking straight to my car in the parking space.

***

When I was finally home, Hajiya welcomed me with a cheerful smile and told me Barirah came and that she brought some snacks for me.

"Yeah, she called and told me about it already" I muttered.

"Eyyah, wallahi she's really a good girl" Hajiya remarked.

"Yeah, she is" I sighed heading upstairs.

I walked into my room, took off my cap and shoes and then fell wearily on the bed. I was on the bed, staring at the ceiling when I began perceiving different aromas.

I followed the direction of the pleasant smell with my eyes shut while sniffing around until lastly I bumped my nose and found myself facing a basket filled with some snacks by the bedside table.

Ohh, wow...

I quickly adjusted into a sitting position and looked deep into the basket. There was a note inside. I took the note which reads, "I might not be a perfect chef but here are some of my snacks for you."

I smiled and took the snacks off the basket one after the other, starting with the Sausage Rolls, then Tortilla Wrap, Pancakes, and others. I never actually knew she was into such business and was good at it, it was really amazing.

After consuming some of the snacks, I dialed her number and told her they were delicious.

"Really?" she asked.

"Of course, yes!" I replied.

"Hmm, thank you. Business ina kenan, ordering nake yi da sai in siyar but I started making mine recently" she said.

"And it's good gaskiya," I remarked, "so how much did you spent in making all these for me?" I asked.

"Why asking?" she said.

"I want to pay you back or at least reward you for the good work" I said.

"Hmm, ni fa I didn't do all that for you to pay or reward me" she said.

"Come on..." I said as she cut in,

"Bye, gobe zan zo in karba basket ina!" she ended the call.

***************

Hmm, an update after a long break!