Chapter 18 - Imran

With dad and Hajiya now away, I felt so lonely at home. It had just been a day since they left but I was already missing them.  

My friends wanted to come and cheer me up but I told them I wasn't ready for their annoying presence, however I promised to make it up to them whenever I was ready.

After taking my breakfast today, I went to the workout room to do some exercise. What I ate for breakfast was just...coffee and some cookies.

Thanks to the coffee maker and one of the packs of cookies I found in the cabinet, but what would I eat for lunch? It wasn't as if I was good at cooking.

Though I could make noodles but not as good as anyone could imagine. Sometimes I would end up putting more water than I should and sometimes more additional ingredients.

Anyways, I would just order for food or go out and eat something in a restaurant when it's time for lunch. I thought to myself.

While in the workout room, my phone rang. It was Barirah. I picked and we greeted. "Missing Hajiya and Dad already, right?" she said.

"Well, yes" I said trying to catch my breath.

"What's up with the breathing, are you okay?" she asked.

"Yeah, just working out a little" I replied, "How is your mom?" I asked.

"She's fine, we are just about going to the market" she said.

"Ohh, you need a ride?" I asked.

"No, don't worry. Mom is driving" she said.

"Okay, so..." 

"Yawwa, what would you like to eat for dinner? Sai in siya in dafa ma" she asked.

"Hmm, Barirah kenan!" I blurted overly excited.

"Yes, just say it... and whatever it is I will prepare it for you. Sai in kawo maka in the evening" she said.

"Toh, anything... but I would love to eat tuwon shinkafa and vegetable soup" I uttered in what seemed like a whisper. 

"Okay, how about what to add to the soup. I mean, fish or meat?" she asked.

"Meat, but zan so kayan cikin shanu haka. It's been long I ate all those things, Hajiya doesn't like preparing them" I gulped, already salivating.

"Alright, ba matsala" she said.

"Thank you"

"You are welcome" she ended the call.

I continued with my exercise until I was finally exhausted. I took some water, laid down and eventually fell asleep.

When I woke up later I realized I had slept for three hours. I quickly stood up, went to my room and took a warm shower before driving out to check on my filling station.

Mallam Garba was happy to see me when I arrived there. He humbly welcomed me and handed over some documents to me, "Your signature is needed here, here, and... here sir" he showed me the spots to sign. 

"What for?" I asked out of curiosity.

"We need to refill our underground tank, and we can't do that without your signature" he said.

"Like seriously? I thought you have everything under control?" I mused.

"Well, not everything. Refilling needs your consent because we have to take some money from the company's account to finance all the aspects involve" he explained.

"Alright then, you have my... full consent" I said as I began signing the documents.

When I was done, I handed the documents back to him.

"Thank you" he said about leaving when he halted, "Did I tell you anything about my youngest son's upcoming birthday party?" he wrinkled a brow at me.

"Nope, you didn't" I shook my head negatively.

"Oh, sorry about that. I thought I apprised you about it" he uttered, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck, "Anyways," he cleared his throat and continued, "his birthday is tomorrow In Shaa Allah and I want you to please be present"

"Tomorrow?" I muttered, "By what time?"

"Anything five in the evening, the venue is my house" he said.

"Okay," I heaved a sigh, "Allah Ya kaimu"

"Ameen" he smiled and left.

Hours later, I decided to return back home. I had actually stayed longer than I used to even though I didn't take lunch and I was very hungry.

While on my way home, I saw Barirah dropping at the junction of our streets. She was holding a basket of small and big sized warmers. The tricycle that dropped her then drove away in speed.

Thus I drove closer to her and lowered the glass with a smile, "Why here? Is everything okay?" I asked the fact that it was unusual for someone intending to come to our house to drop at the junction, and getting another tricycle to take her in would be very hard at such hour.

"Hmm, wallahi the man changed his mind that he's not going in again. That other passengers are going straight" she said in a very nice tone while looking down as if she was shy.

"Eyyah, sorry about that. Some tricyclists can be nuts at times" I sympathized.

"Wallahi" she lamented.

"Get in please" I unlocked the door for her and patiently waited as she hopped in, "Let me... help you with this!" I collected the basket from her and stretched it to the backseat.

"Thank you" she said shutting her side door off.

"You are welcome" I huffed, putting the car into motion.

Upon arriving home, we headed straight to the dining island with me leading the way. Then I excused myself and went to the kitchen to bring some tableware and chilled beverages.

Immediately I returned, she adjusted her long hijab and began serving me. I was so eager to lay my hands in the food due to its strong aroma. The aroma was so... out of this world.

"You cooked this?" I found myself enquiring.

"Yes, ni kadai. Mom was busy watching her favorite television program then" she responded.

"Wow, eyyah..." I said, and quickly began eating the moment she was done serving.

I was expecting her to join me but she didn't, she just sat down quietly and watched as I enjoyed my meal – while wearing a befitting smile on her face.

***************

As we dey holiday so ehn, na update I will just be releasing! Lol. In Shaa Allah.