Chapter 24 - Imran

After dropping Barirah in their house, I drove to work and didn't return home until it was quarter past six in the evening. And when I returned home, my stomach began grumbling.

Actually, due to the heavy rain that took place I was unable to pullover and get myself something for dinner before returning home. And now, I was starving!

I huffed, thinking about what to do next. Perhaps I should just go to the kitchen and prepare some noodles, or maybe I should...

My thought was cut short the moment my phone began ringing. I quickly checked the caller i.d and found out the caller was Hajiya.

"Good evening, Hajiya" I said as soon as I picked the call.

"Evening Imran, how are you? Ya gida?" she spoke. 

"Alhamdulillah, how about you? How is dad?" I asked.

"He's fine, we are both fine" she replied, "Are you hearing from Barirah?"

"Yes Hajiya, almost everyday!"

"Eyyah, I just heard from her mom not long ago that they lost someone" she said.

"Eh wallahi, her mom is even en route to Bauchi"

"And Barirah?" she asked.

"Barirah decided to stay"

"But why? She's gonna be alone now" she lamented.

"Yes wallahi" I gulped.

"Hmm," she sighed, "in that case if she can't stay alone in their house please invite her to ours. She can use the guest section, plus you won't have to worry about who to prepare food for you for the meantime" Her words made me scoff, "What do you think, Imran?" she asked.

"Toh, gaskiya dai I don't think that Malama will ever consider sleeping in the same building with me at this moment. She's too religious, you know? I think we should just let her..." I said as she cut in,

"You can't tell, Imran! You just have to ask her, if she agrees then fine. And if she doesn't, then let her be. But try and be checking on her please, she needs you especially now that she's alone" she said.

"Okay Hajiya, I heard you. Is dad around?"

"Yes but he's deeply asleep"

"Okay, greet him when he wakes up"

"In Shaa Allah, I will. Take care, okay?"

"You too, Hajiya"

"Alright!" she ended the call. 

After the call, I called Barirah and asked how she was coping. She heaved a sigh and told me she was fine. 

"Okay, good!" I gulped.

"Yeah, zan zo zuwa anjima. With your dinner" she apprised.

"Me kika dafa?" I asked.

"Spaghetti"

"Hmm, okay. Till you come"

"Toh" she said and told me to expect her in some minutes, before ending the call.

While waiting, I thought about what Hajiya said. What was she really thinking? That I could keep Barirah in our house and turn her to my cook?

Well, I would be glad to do that but Barirah wasn't just any type of girl. Plus she would rather stay alone than accept my invitation to stay with me in our house.

Talking about accepting my invitation, what would my friends think when they find out we are living together? They would definitely assume we were dating or in some kind of relationship.

...

When Barirah arrived later, she came with a backpack. I didn't know what was inside but I guess she had some surprises for me. As happy as I was, I helped her with the food basket to the dining table.

"Now tell me, when would you like me to teach you how to cook?" she said while serving me.

"Hmm, big question!" I gulped.

"Big question kuma?" she wrinkled a brow at me.

"Yes!"

"Baka shirya ba dai kenan" she poured some juice into a glass for me and began serving herself as well.

"Hmm, not really" I said and gently began eating.

"Mind if I ask you something?" she said and began eating as well. 

"Yes, sure!"

"Okay, tell me about your dream girl. The kind of girl you want, I know you will say mai hips da chests..." she giggled, "because I know that's what most of you – men like!"

"Ashe kin gane," I sarcastically remarked, "I want a woman with full package. Komai full!"

"Hmm!" she muttered.

"What? Or do you have someone with full package that you want to dash me?" I asked, jokingly.

"Even if I have, bazan maka hanya ba" she frankly said.

"Why?"

"Just!"

"Just?" I laughed, "But that's not fair ai, what are friends for?"

"Hmm!" she heaved a sigh about uttering a word when suddenly, her phone began ringing.

"Mom? Is it your mom?" I curiously asked.

"No, it's Sayyada. My Mallam's daughter" she said and quickly picked the call, "AsSalama Alaykum..."

***************

Guys, sorry for keeping you guys waiting. Dan Allah ku yi hakuri, I didn't intend to do that. Abubuwa ne sun mun yawa, but In Shaa Allah it shall be well gradually ❤️❤️