Chapter 39 - Minal

A few weeks ago, Imran and his parents came to see my parents after so much persuasion from me. I was so happy when they arrived, and also shy.

I hid in my room with my heart beating fast, leaving Ya Siyyama and Mom to deal with the situation downstairs while I waited quietly for me to be called upon.

I had read books and watched films about how introductions were usually done, but I never really knew it would feel this way. I was so nervous and worried.

While waiting to be summoned, my phone rang. I swiftly walked over to where it was – on the bed – and picked it up. It was a call from Rumaisah.

Oh Lord, not again! I muttered the fact that it wasn't long before we finished talking on the phone, just some minutes before Imran and his parents arrived.

"Hello!" I had said the moment I picked up the call. 

"Hi, Minal" Rumaisah had uttered, "Sorry, I know I am disturbing you" she had giggled.

"Thank God you know!" I had muttered.

"Hmm, let me just go straight to the point" she had huffed and continued, "It's still about the business I told you about, do you think injecting my life savings into it will make it more profitable?"

"All your money, you mean? Come on, you can't do that now. It's not a good move. It's risky!" I had warned her.

"I know it is risky, Minal, but this is the profit we are talking about" she had uttered.

"Profit huh? Okay then, but what if the business fails? What if it..." I had said as someone interrupted me by walking into the room with a Salam.

It was Ya Siyyama!

"Your attention is needed downstairs," she had said and left just after apprising me.

It was what I had been waiting for but now that I was summoned, I felt like feigning sickness. I didn't even know when I bade Rumaisah goodbye and ended the call.

Hence, I heaved a sigh and walked over to the mirror. I looked just fine the way I was, but I was so nervous that I felt I needed to do something to make myself more presentable.

However, just as I was thinking about what to do my phone beeped. It was a text message from Mom that read, "What is going on, Minal?"

"Sorry Mom, I am on my way now!" I had texted back and then picked my veil from the bed before heading out.

While walking down the stairs, I wore my veil and began praying inside me. I was praying for composure for I needed that badly right this moment.

And just as I was in the sitting room, I partially covered my face with one end of my veil and walked gently to where my mom and dad were.

I could hear them calling me a shy girl but I didn't care. I just sat on the surface, close to their couch. They were sitting very close to each other on the couch.

Imran was also sitting on the surface close to his parents who were sitting on the opposite couch.

In no time, the introduction began. Imran's parents introduced themselves to us and stated their intention for coming...

After that, dad and mom introduced themselves too. Hence, they welcomed Imran and his parents once more.

Every time I glance at Imran, I will find him smiling at me and I will quickly look away. He had his gaze steady on me as if he had never seen me before.

Well, I should be happy. He obviously was admiring my looks. I admired him too, after all he was the man of my dream.

When he was asked if truly he loved me and if really he wanted to marry me, he boldly responded with YES. He wasn't even shy at all.

But when I was asked the same question, I became so shy that I couldn't reply in time. And when I finally responded, I coyly left the sitting room and headed back to my room in haste. 

I was shy, so shy... and at the same time happy that things were actually moving as expected.

***************

Good women are for good men.