Chapter 20 - Imran

Barirah was really good at cooking, I woke up today thinking about the food she brought to me yesterday. It was delicious. If only she could be bringing food to me everyday, I would pretty much appreciate it.

Today I took noodles for breakfast, I managed to cook it well and even fried some eggs to add to it. As for lunch, well, there was this new restaurant close to my filling station. I went there and ate two wraps of pounded yam and egusi soup.

Dinner would have to be in Mallam Garba's house, his youngest's son's birthday was today. I didn't really know much about his family but I knew where he lived. I gave him a day off today to prepare for the birthday.

When it was quarter past three in the afternoon, I drove to his house and parked in the parking lot. There were people in the compound already, probably waiting for the event to start. One familiar face was that of a lady in one of the canopies.

I stepped out of the car to have a clear view of her face when suddenly, Mallam Garba came and welcomed me. "I never thought you would come this early, Imran. Wallahi we are still preparing, and the DJ is yet to come" he uttered apologetically.

"No problem, I will wait here" I said.

"Here? Why not come inside? You are a special guest, remember?" he said smiling.

"Hmm, okay. Thank you" I smiled back.

"You are welcome sir" he said and began leading the way.

While trailing him, we walked passed the two canopies facing each other. Surprisingly, my eyes caught up with Minal... Siyyama's sister. She was obviously the familiar figure I saw earlier while in the car.

What was she doing here? Was she invited too? Who invited her? Was Siyyama with her? I kept asking myself series of questions even though I knew I had answer to none, and I didn't intend to stop and ask.

You know, I didn't like talking to her or even chatting with her on phone. I strongly despised her the same way I despised Siyyama for turning me down. And whenever we meet, I would pretend as if I didn't know her.

Mallam Garba took me to his apartment in the main house and called his two wives, Hajara and Nafisa to greet me. The wives came together with some of his children, Yasmin, Mansur, Shua'ib, Karima, and the one whose birthday I came to grace, Habibu.

To be honest, I felt so honoured. His family were very welcoming. When they left the apartment, he told me he was happy to be blessed with the kind of family he had. "We live peacefully," he added, "my wives treat each other nicely... like sisters"

"Wow, really?" I uttered.

"Yes wallahi" he cleared his throat, "Polygamy is sweet if you are lucky, just make sure whenever you are getting married to a woman it should be someone who completely has no problem having rival in the future" he advised.

"Okay, but do you think women will open up to you and tell you the truth that they won't bother sharing you with other women in the future?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Of course they will, and if they don't then you will figure it out yourself" he replied, "I could remember when I met my first wife," he continued, "she wasn't that religious but when I asked if she would love to have a rival in the future, she told me if that's what Allah wants then she's fine with it"

"Hmm, some will tell you this but will still resort to violence after bringing in another woman" I said recalling a Hausa movie I once watched...

"Yes but not all. And to be frank with you, it was my first wife, Hajara that encouraged me to marry my second wife, Nafisa" he apprised.

"Like seriously?" I unbelievably wrinkled a brow at him.

"Yes. Actually, Nafisa was a younger sister to Hajara's colleague and had been single for a while. I was told she was 35 and every man that approached her only intended to take advantage of her not to marry her, hence Hajara connected us and implored me to marry her. Now we are living happily, in love and in peace" he explained.

"Hmm, Ma Shaa Allah!" I sighed, satisfied with the story.

The story made me thought about the possibility of having two wives in the future too as I suddenly became interested in polygamy.

However, I might not be as lucky as he was. And by the way, I didn't even have a girlfriend to begin with at the moment...

I only had friends,

Just friends!

***************

A/N...

For those anticipating for "Spiral Of Depression" on youtube, my channel is under construction for now.