15

Jay crossed his legs one over the other as he took a sip of his tea. He felt the princess' gaze on him as she laid on the bed.

His eyes were on the book, but he could still feel the intensity of the princess' stare.

He felt his cheeks flush as he looked up, their eyes meeting.

It had been a few hours since they kissed.

They had wordlessly pulled away from each other and moved back to the spots they were in before.

Lunch was served in the room as they were quiet. After that time the princess took a short nap while Jay continued to read.

But the princess seemed to be fully awake now.

"I was reading that." Hazel said quietly, as she pointed to the book.

"I know." Jay answered as he nodded his head.

"You're already a little ahead from me, right?"

"You left off in the first page." He informed as he looked back down to the book.

"Can you read it for me?" She asked softly to which Jay looked up at her.

She did her typical raise of her eyebrows, which made Jay understand she wasn't really asking.

Jay chuckled as he shook his head.

"Bayliss had a farm implement business in Frankfort, and though he was still under thirty he had made a very considerable financial success. Perhaps Wheeler was proud of his son's business acumen. At-"

"I can't hear you. Sit here." She interrupted as she gestured for the spot next to her on the bed.

Jay's eyes widened at the suggestion as the princess gave him a small smirk.

"You're too far away. I truly can't hear you." She excused as she shook her head.

The tailor stood up and walked towards her, sitting down at the edge of the bed.

He cleared his throat as the princess gestured for him to read.

"Bayliss had a farm implement business in Frankfort, and though he was still under thirty he had made a very considerable financial success. Perhaps Wheeler was proud of his son's-"

Jay interrupted himself as he saw the princess move closer to him from the corner of his eye.

She was casually leaning against her elbow as she stared at him, now laying in an angle where she could get a clear view of the book.

He looked at her for a second and tilted his head as he looked back at the book.

"Is there a problem?"

"None found, your highness." Jay said politely.

She nodded her head in understanding as she softly bit her lip, trying to contain her smile.

"It seems to me there is a problem."

"No, of course not."

"You seem a little nervous."

"I'm not."

"Are you really?"

"I'm not."

"Truly?"

"One hundred percent."

They quickly spoke back and forth like a ping pong ball.

The princess narrowed her eyes at him, as he turned his head to look at her, his lips moving up in amusement.