33

"How?" He questioned quietly as the princess softly caressed his cheek.

Jay's tears fell down his cheeks as he stared at Hazel, who gave him a big smile through her own tears.

"I'm here."

He tightly wrapped his arms around her as he buried his face in her neck.

He placed a hurried kiss on her temple as he pulled away from her, softly holding her face in his hands.

"I saw you." He whispered softly. "I saw you laying there, and you weren't responding and I- I didn't know what to do."

She gently pecked his lips as their foreheads softly connected.

"Um, your relationship with guards is quite close I see." Niki said making the princess look at him.

Hazel chuckled as she grabbed Jay's hands, helping him stand up.

"We need to find Wilson." She said determinedly and Jay furrowed his eyebrows as he wiped his tears.

"Does he have anything to do with this?"

"He has everything to do with this." Hazel said angrily.

"A maid came to give him some news, I'm assuming it was about the ambush. He ran out to the dungeons, I think. He told me to stay here." Jay informed as he led both of them out of the room.

"He probably knew I would try to kill you." Niki smirked as he shook his head. "If I was him, I'd want to kill you too."

"What are you talking about?" The princess exclaimed as she turned her head to look at him.

"If I was married and the guard was the one getting kisses and hugs when my wife just came back from the dead, I'd be pissed." He shrugged innocently as he grabbed a grape from the table. "But I know what he did to you, so you should definitely give the guard more than hugs and kisses."

"Who even are you?" Jay asked in confusion.

"I'm Prince Niki of Maignes, great to meet you Mr. Side Man. I've heard lots about you." Niki smiled sarcastically.

Jay shook his head as he walked ahead, everyone following behind him.

"Are Jane and Eli in the headquarters?" Jay asked in a hurry as they practically ran down the hallway.

"If you mean the sassy kid, yes." Niki said as he looked around the castle.

He had only been there as a kid, but never in the upper rooms. His family was always invited to events in the dining hall, or the throne room, but never anywhere else.

"My castle is better." Niki spoke again making the princess roll her eyes.

"Let's just get to Wilson."

"We can help."

They all stopped walking as they heard Eli's voice coming from their side.

Jay looked at them with wide eyes as he walked towards them.

"Helping, is staying inside. This is not something for you guys to handle." Jay scolded as he gestured for them to go inside the room.

Jane stared at the princess with tears in her eyes as she didn't know whether to approach her or not.

Hazel smiled softly as she walked towards Jane, pulling her into a hug.

The little girl cried quietly as she held on tightly to the princess' simple afternoon gown.

"I'm happy to see you, your majesty." Hazel whispered making the little girl smile.

"But we can still help." Eli said as he crossed his arms.