18

"Your highness, head servant Fran has requested to speak to you."

The king looked up from the paper on his desk with a scowl.

"I am heavily busy."

"She says it is urgent, your highness. It concerns the princess."

The king stared at the guard for a second as he raised his eyebrows in interest. He took off his glasses and gestured for the guard to send her in.

Fran walked in as she adjusted her uniform in earnest.

"Greetings, your highness."

"What brings you here Fran?" The king questioned politely as he watched Fran walk closer to the desk, stopping several feet away before bowing.

"I have a request. Well more like a suggestion."

"Go on."

"The princess has been a little paranoid, due to the war. She has reported to me, having nightmares and being scared at the sound of the cannons at night. She'd like to feel more at ease."

The king nodded his head as if gesturing for her to continue.

"I was wondering, if night guards were possible."

"Isn't prince Wilson living in the headquarters?"

Fran looked down for a second as she tried to search for an answer.

"I believe the prince would need some protection as well."

"Are you suggesting the prince is weak?"

"No! Of course not, your highness." She quickly said as she shook her head. "I just personally believe that even the servants are concerned about the prince and princess' safety due to the recent occurrences in the Hampton kingdom."

Fran used the recent events to her advantage as she recalled the attacks the prince's distant relatives received. It was believed to be a war crime, but it was truly just a robbery.

"I also believe the princess will feel more secure with a night guard."

The king looked down at his papers for a second, before putting on his glasses again.

"I will consider it. You're dismissed."

****

Hazel searched through the small collection of books that had been brought to the common room as she avoided the gaze of the prince.

She quickly chose a random one and started walking to her room.

"Where are you going?"

"My bedroom." The princess answered as she stood at her door.

"Why don't you stay here?" Wilson asked as he patted the spot next to him on the couch.

The princess shook her head as she placed her hand on the doorknob.

"I'd be more comfortable in my bedroom." She nervously said as she reached for the door, being caught off guard by the sound of the main doors being opened.

"Your highness, the muffins you requested are ready." Fran announced as she walked inside the common room with a tray of banana nut muffins.

The princess and the prince looked up at Fran, who placed the tray on the small table in front of the couch.

Hazel furrowed her eyebrows in confusion for a few seconds until she realized what Fran was doing.

"Thank you, Fran." She said as she walked over to reach for one of the muffins.