22

A knock on the door startled the princess as she sat up almost in a hurry, scaring Jay.

"Your highness." Fran called out in a whisper, making the princess sigh in relief.

She laid back down as she ran a hand down her face, looking to her side at Jay who had laid on his side with a small smile.

"Seri will be here in a few minutes to set up breakfast. Just as a warning."

"Thank you, Fran." The princess said softly as she sat up, stretching her arms over her head and leaning back against the headboard.

Jay's eyes weren't even halfway open as he sat up as well.

He softly placed his head on her shoulder as he closed his eyes.

The princess smiled as she softly caressed his cheek, placing a kiss on his head.

It made her think. She hadn't woken up in such a good mood in a long time. She hadn't had someone hug her until she fell asleep since she was a child. It was such a warm feeling to know that she could turn to her side and have someone there with her instead of the cold bed sheets.

"You know, you're a hugger when you sleep." Hazel chuckled and Jay smiled softly.

"I'm always a hugger when it comes to you, your highness." Jay joked quietly. He sat up straight and checked his watch. "It's almost time for me to head home."

"I was wondering if you would let Jane and Eli come over for a while. They could have breakfast with me and I don't have much to do so I wanted to officially show them around the other parts of the castle and-"

"So, you want an outing with my siblings instead of me?" He teased as he stood from the bed, putting on his jacket.

"That's not what I intended to say."

The princess smiled as she sat up on her knees, gesturing for him to lean down.

She softly fixed his hair as he watched her intently.

"There you go." She whispered softly as she was done, placing a small kiss on his forehead.

"Thank you, your highness."

He waved at her with a small smile as he walked out of the room.

*****

"Oh pretty priinceess!" Eli sang out as he skipped into the headquarters. "Wow. This one is so much better than your old home."

"Thank you for having us skip tutoring today, your highness." Jane smiled as she approached the princess.

"I thought you liked studying?" The princess asked as she watched the two kids join her at the table.

"Sometimes you need breaks." Jane shrugged as she grabbed one of the napkins, placing it over her lap.

Hazel contained her smile as she watched her back still as straight as how she taught her.

She really did take the advice seriously.

"You're doing a great job at being a princess, your highness." The princess awkwardly said the last part as she wasn't used to the title coming out of her mouth.

Jane looked up at her in happiness as she raised her eyebrows. "Thank you, your highness."

"What about me? Aren't I a prince too?"

"Yes. You are-"

"Never mind, I don't want to be a prince! I want to be a guard!" He quickly changed his mind as he reached for the syrup, not being able to.