Chapter 57: What I Have Always Wished

Nine Months Since Marriage

It was another methodical day in Annika's life. She was in her office in the presentation hall. "This was great", she complemented her co-workers for their project before turning to look at her assistant, "Vidhi, I need all the files decked up in my cabin's rack. The second shelf on the left", she told her while Vidhi nodded profusely making her chuckle.

Annika went out and pushed open the gate of her cabin. She went inside staring at her phone. It's a break time and she needs to call Shivaay. She was a bit surprised not having his missed calls cause it was seven minutes past the break. Usually, he calls the same time the clock instructs that it was a lunch break.

"Annika", she heard a voice from behind making a jump a little. She somehow stopped herself from freaking out because she was familiar with the voice. She turned in 180 degrees and came across the face of her husband. He was looking messy. He didn't had a smile on his face which was spontaneous when he used to see her. His eyes appeared red, as if he just cried. His was staring her as if something bad happened or something bad would just be about to take place.

Ignoring all the signs but still hoping for the best out of every mess, she plastered a smile on her face as if she didn't caught him in a bad place, "Shivaay. When did you came here?". She was trying hard not to look worried and was trying to smile.

He, he was already miserable. He didn't knew how to say something. How to make her familiar with the news he had for her. He walked closer to her, taking every step slowly and preparing the words he was going to utter to her. She saw him coming closer. She could study the look on his face. It was definitely something terrible, something, she guessed, would make her tear apart. 

He was now standing right in front of her. He grabbed her arms from both his hands. He looked down slightly to match her eye level. She could feel the tension rising in the room. The atmosphere was turning dark, "Just a minute back", he told her. Okay so that explains why didn't he call her. But that was not a major concern. It was different. "I need to tell you something".

She gulped hard. His eyes were displaying worries. He left her arm with one of his hand and pulled out a chair which was beside them under the desk. He pulled her slowly from her current position and made her sit on it, "Shivaay, what's wrong?", she asked. He looked at her, still preparing words. Without stealing any glance from her, he pulled out another chair and took a seat on it. He was sitting right across her, such that they were facing each other, "Is there something I should worry about?".

He pulled his chair more closer to her. He kept his one hand on her knee and other on top of hers which was laying on the desk. He massaged her knee slowly before grabbing her hands and moulding them inside his fist, "Annika, something terrible happened", he began. Her heart thumped loudly as she heard him. Several thoughts ran in her mind. All the faces of the people she loved flashed in front of her eyes. "Half an hour back", he continued.

Her heartbeat went to the possible highest rate. What was it? Is everyone alright. "What happened?", she asked. Her mind was praying to god to make peace and reverse whatever terrible had happened.  

"Papa", he said. Her hands started to sweat as he heard him. She breathed heavily and lifted her head up and down, indicating him to say further. Before saying anything more, he held her sweaty hand more firmly."He had an accident".

The floor beneath her feet slipped. All sort of dangerous thoughts started pouring in her mind. Tears started to flow at an uncontrollable rate. Her breath was getting hitched as she had difficulty projecting her mind, "How...is he?". He pulled her closer making her gripping his arms and crying in his chest, "Tell me how is he?", she asked again.