Chapter 5: "Just take the damn bag"

ADA

I WAS CAUGHT in that dimension between the world of sleep and reality. Not quite here, but not quite there either. I was aware of a sharp pain exploding in my neck, but I just could not muster up the strength to do anything about it.

The door opened.

My head lolled to the side. A weak smile lifted my lips when I saw Carter with my bag. "Hey! You're back."

Carter nodded then frowned. "What the hell happened?"

"What do you mean?"

"Your face... I didn't think it was possible for it to look any worse after I left."

"Hilarious," I deadpanned, harshly pulled back to reality by his comment. I stretched, hearing the muscles pop back into position.

"Oh by the way, there was a dead person in your apartment."

My eyebrows shot up and I gasped. "Holy shit! Really?"

"Yeah... their face was all slashed and burned so I couldn't tell you what they looked like." Carter side-eyed me. "Something you wanna confess?"

I scowled. "I didn't kill anyone if that's what you're saying!"

"I'm not saying anything Wilson." He shrugged. "There was also a woman there. Tall, wearing black, one blue and one brown eye–"

I gasped, my hand flying to my mouth as the pain momentarily disappeared. "Oh my God! Oh my God! Pass me my bag!"

Carter tossed it over and I eagerly rifled through it. With a triumphant shout, I took out a Nokia and held it in the air.

Carter made some snarky comment, but I was too happy to listen or care. I switched on the phone and typed in the phone number- which, despite me only using it once before, I had long since memorised- and pressed the star twice and the weird symbol button as well. The phone connected on the second ring.

"Hey Cam!" I whispered excitedly, turning away from Carter's curious gaze. "It's been a while, huh?"

"Hey Addy!" Cam squealed. In the background, I could hear an explosion and the sound of fighting. A man screamed 'Are you actually on the phone right now?' but Cam ignored him.

"Is this a bad time?" I asked, slightly worried.

"Not at all! I've always got time for you! Just one second, okay? Die Scumbag!" I heard skin hitting skin and a painful crack! Accompanied with a dark, maniacal laughter that struck fear into the hearts of enemies.

I rolled my eyes. "So cliché."

"Don't be rude! The 'evil laugh' comes naturally for the talented ones." A breezy voice said and I scoffed.

"'Talented ones'," I mocked in a ridiculously high-pitched voice. "Is that what they call it now?"

"Oh do shut up!" I could hear the smile in her voice. "Anyways, hate to rush, but there's a man who looks like he's about to kill me for answering this call. What's up?"

"I need help."

"Don't we all?"

"I've been framed for treason... oh and murder."

"What did you do now, Addy?"

"Me? I did nothing!"

"Well you must've done something! No one is accused of murder and treason just like that! And not everyone has a dead body in their apartment!"

"That was not my fault."

Cam sighed. "What do you need help with?"

I got up with difficulty and limped down to the door. I leaned against it and lowered my voice, keeping a careful eye on Carter. "I might have to disappear soon."