Chapter 28: "Discount"

TW ⚠️⚠️: Mentions of heavy gun violence and death

CHIEF WRIGHT

Just when I thought things couldn't possibly get any worse, the universe sticks its colossal middle finger in my face and rains more shit down for me to deal with.

The Agency was, as usual for this time of year, drowning in work. A million missions were being run and both Analysts and Agents were pulling their weight to make the operations run like a well-oiled machine.

Perhaps that was why no one noticed them.

I was in my office, trying to contact Ada and the Agent, when I heard the shouts.

From a very young age, every Analyst and Agent here is told that they will go to the Agency. We are trained by the Academy, put through gruelling tasks that test our mental and physical capacities. Not everyone makes it.

But for all our training and all our years of experience, we froze when it mattered most.

I grabbed my gun and knife, stepping out into the carnage.

The gunfire started. Screams were cut short. Blood stained the carpets and splattered against the frosted glass. Men and women wore clothes of the deepest red, completely covered except for their eyes.

Agents took out their guns, but couldn't risk opening fire while so many of their own were out on the field. I saw three of the enemy go down, but more seemed to push through.

Against my better judgement, I charged straight into the bloodiest part of the battle. I fired based purely on instinct, some of my bullets hit their mark and some didn't.

A knife nicked my side. I plunged my own dagger into the throat of its owner and pulled it out. My hands were stained with blood.

"Retreat!" I roared, shooting someone in the stomach. I stepped over a body and didn't dare look to see if it was friend or foe.

"Everyone, stand down." A voice crackled over the intercom. They said something in a language I couldn't identify and a loud beep at the end.

Amazingly, the assassins backed away from us. We stood at opposite ends of the room, scanning each other over a sea of death.

There were more casualties on our side. A sharp pain exploded in my chest at the sight of the Agents' deadened eyes and the Analysts' twisted limbs.

"Good morning everyone!" The voice over the intercom chirruped as if she hadn't orchestrated a massacre. "It's me, Special Agent Emma Keen speaking!"

Beside me, I heard Haddel utter a soft, "No!"

"I wanted to thank everyone at this damned Agency for all they've done over the years," Keen continued, acting as if she was merely discussing the weather. "Especially my father, Chief Alfred Haddel, without whom none of my plans would have been possible."

I closed my eyes and let out a pained sigh. Haddel you fool...

It was common knowledge that Keen was Haddel's daughter, but I never imagined that he would turn a blind eye to her faults. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

"Wait, they're father and daughter?!" An Agent whispered, jaw dropped in shock.

"Yeah, didn't you know?" An Analyst replied, clutching a bloody blade in her hands.

"No! I never know the Agency drama."

"Both of you, quiet!" I hissed, keeping an eye on the red-cloaked assassins.

Wait...red-cloaked assassins?

My eyes widened and I muttered a foul curse. I raised my voice. "Keen! Did you actually hire the Sanguis?"

"Ding ding ding!" Keen laughed, a hint of mania pierced her tone."I knew you would get it right Aliana!"

I bristled at the casual way the dirty fox said my name, but forced my next words to be calm and controlled. "Are you fucking stupid?"

"What? I got a good deal! They gave me a fifty percent discount once they heard it was against you guys!"

A cold sweat broke over my skin and goosebumps erupted across my arm when I looked at the Sanguis. All its members were glaring at us with eyes full of hate and disgust, as if at any moment they would leap across the fallen desks and chairs to cut us where we stood. They wouldn't do this out of a sense of duty or obligation. No, they would enjoy it.

I forced myself to look away. Haddel was snivelling in the frontlines, reeling from the stark betrayal. I couldn't expect him to be in any shape to negotiate. Slowly, I lowered my knives. Clearly, the Sanguis were under Keen's command. I would have to deal with the source directly if I wanted to make it out alive.

"What do you want, Keen?" I asked.

"To destroy the Agency." Keen's voice took on a much darker tone and I heard something snap in the background- a pencil? "This damned institution took everything from me. I simply want to repay the favour."

Holy shit she's actually insane.

"Plus, my boss pays me well," Keen added.

"Emma..." Haddel whispered, raising his head. "Why are you doing this?"

"I just said why, Father," Keen sneered, "if you actually listened for once, you wouldn't be asking such useless questions."

She has a point. I thought, then quickly snapped out of it. I did not want to agree with a traitor and a sociopath.

"Why haven't you killed us yet then, Keen?" I called out.

"Alianaaa," Max's voice went high-pitched with nervous worry- one I had never heard in his time as a Chief. "Don't go putting ideas in her head."

Keen laughed but the speaker crackled, cutting off the first part of the sentence. However, I could make out two names- Ada and Jay.

Dread trickled down my spine and fear swept over me. I clutched my knives tighter, their familiar weight calmed me. I prayed that Ada and Special Agent Carter were safe- the very future of the Agency probably depended on their survival. 

*********

I hope you guys liked it! 

Stay safe and thanks for reading :)