chapter one

mackenzie ray, the very quiet and nerdy girl of the school. her main and pretty much only focus in life was school, her second was her little sister madeline. madeline was only four but very smart and always had questions about different little things, and mackenzie was always quick to answer them. she loved taking care of her sister, she felt it was her job as her parents worked long hours and were tired by the time they got home.

mackenzie had no time for boys, well other than eryn, which is her best friend. eryn and mackenzie had been friends since fifth grade and have always gotten along. eryn tried to set mackenzie up on dates to get her out of her shell but she always fell back into her little shell.

she was pretty content with her life. she has her own car and is in college, though it was just the small community college for her town. she didn't really know what she wanted to be when she was older, though being a teacher was something she had in the back of her mind, she just wasn't sure if she wanted that to be her life.

when she wasn't in school her life consisted of reading and having fun with her sister. her mom liked to joke that madeline was mackenzie's daughter as they were so much alike. madeline was always ready to ride around with mackenzie to the library or to pick up some books, as long as she got chicken nuggets and a new book for herself.

today was a warm july saturday. saturdays were mackenzie and madeline's designated cooking/ baking days, as well as movies. they make one meal that they found on pinterest or tiktok then pick a dessert off of the list they made to have after dinner.

it was a simple way to make sure they were both eating and pretty time consuming tasks. their mom and dad were out for the day which left mackenzie and madeline to themselves.

"hey, can we make cookies?" mackenzie smiled, looking over at the girl that wore a stitch onesie.

"cookies for snack?" madeline nodded and jumped up from the couch, running to the kitchen. mackenzie stood up and followed after her, getting out the ingredients for chocolate chip cookies.

"eryns here." madeline smiled while looking out of the window, noticing his black car in the driveway. mackenzie hummed and walked to open the door.

"what are you doing here?" she asked while walking back to the island of the kitchen, pouring in the vanilla extract.

"i was gonna pick you up to get some food but it seems like you two already have plans." madeline nodded and reached her hands out to be picked up by the man.

"yeah! we're making cookies." eryn smiled and leaned against the counter.

"we could save the dough for later and get lunch now." mackenzie said while looking at madeline, who just shrugged.

"only if i get to keep on my onesie." she rested her chin on eryns shoulder.

"it's hot maddy... don't you see i have on shorts and a t-shirt." he jokingly poked her side, but she stood her ground.

"yeah okay, but go put on something underneath incase you get hot." madeline smiled and wiggled from eryns grasp. mackenzie put the cookie dough in a bowl and pushed it into the fridge, turning back to her friend.

"where do you want to go." she asked, walking to her room.

"i found this place on tiktok that's near us, it's a buffet.. the food looks good." she scanned through her closet and pulled out a romper, basing it off of what he wore so she wasn't over or under dressed. though it didn't really matter as her sister had on a stitch onesie.
~~~
eryn drove them to the restaurant, where he was very interested in their waitress. they got seated and eventually ventured off to pick what they wanted. madeline's plate consisted of chicken nuggets, pizza and a cookie.. but mackenzie couldn't complain as she excepted her to get a whole plate of sweets.

"can you get the guy that seated us." eryn practically begged mackenzie, watching as he walked by again.

"i'll get his snapchat on the way out, i promise." mackenzie always got guys snapchats while out with eryn. she knew how certain guys could be about gay people and she also knew how sensitive eryn was. sometimes if the guy rubbed her the wrong way she wouldn't even take his snapchat.

later madeline and eryn went to get some ice cream from the sweets bar and mackenzie went to find the guy.

"hey." he smiled warmly, remembering her from earlier.

"hi, this is a random question but my friend was wondering if he could get your snapchat." she softly tilted her head to the table with eryn and maddy.

"oh yeah, of course." he smiled and turned to find something to write on.

"we have no more sticky note up front so i hope a napkin is okay." he smiled, to which she nodded and took the napkins she was being handed.

"yup, it's great." she smiled and gave a soft wave before walking back to the table.

"he seemed really smiley." eryn said excitedly.

"mhm." she smiled and handed him the napkin. after he added the snapchat they made their way back to his car. they ended up going back to mackenzie's house to finish their cookies.

"eryn have you seen lilo and stitch?" madeline asked while climbing back under the blankets.

"yeah, when i was little." he reached for the remote and handed it to the girl that was getting comfortable in her little spot.

"well.. we're gonna watch it again." she said while pulling up disney plus. soon mackenzie joined the two on the couch and continued her little conversation with eryn whilst madeline cuddled into her pillow.