chapter seven

wednesday rolled around and mackenzie hadn't talked to nixon. she wasn't necessarily avoiding him, they just hadn't crossed paths much. though today he walked behind her, ruffling her already messy hair which made her turn around.

"lunch?" he asked while softly shaking his bunch of keys in his hands. she smiled and shrugged.

"i'm not really hungry." he frowned and continued to walk behind her.

"okay, then we could get coffee.. or maybe some ice cream." mackenzie giggled and looked up at him.

"are you asking me on a date?" she said jokingly, but he shrugged with a smile.

"well, maybe.. if you want it to be." she glanced away from him, blushing with embarrassment. he noticed this and rested his arm over her shoulders.

"it doesn't have to be a date.. just, two acquaintances getting some coffee." he watched a small smile return to her lips.

"yeah, okay." he led her over to his car and drove to starbucks, where they got some coffee, a slice of lemon cake to try and a turkey and cheese croissant to share. even though she said she wasn't hungry he still felt the need to make sure she was fed. he pulled into a parking spot and turned in his seat, unwrapping the croissant and rested it on the arm rest.

"you can have this half if you want." he smiled, pushing it to her. she smiled and took a bite from it, placing the croissant back on the wrapper.

"maybe we should invite eryn sometime." he said while taking a sip for his drink.

"yeah, i feel like i'm abandoning my best friend." she laughed lightly while pulling her knees to her chest.

"we should all be friends." mackenzie suggested. nixon shrugged at this and took a piece from the lemon cake.

"this is really good.. but yeah, that could be fun." he tilted the bag towards her so she could try it.

"that is good." she hummed and sat the bag back on the arm rest.

"are you doing anything this weekend?" he asked while looking over her.

"uhm, i don't think so.. depends on what madeline wants to do." she shrugged.

"well, i was thinking we all could go get some lunch.. me, you, maddy, naomi.. eryn if he wants to come along." she smiled and nodded.

"i thought you were going to ask me to go to a party." mackenzie giggle, pulling her phone from her pocket to see her teacher for her last class canceled class.

"you really don't like party's?" he asked curiously.

"i've never been to one.. but, they've never seem like my crowd." nixon nodded.

"so then what do you do for fun?" he asked while taking a drink from his coffee.

"me and madeline like to go to the library... or bake together." he hummed.

"yeah okay.. but what do you, do for fun?" she sat to think. she really didn't know.. most of the time she was with madeline, and if she wasn't she was getting something for her. even with eryn they kinda just hung out at her house. and if they did go to his house they'd just lay in bed until they got hungry.

"oh, well... i don't know." mackenzie shrugged, taking another bite from her croissant.

"i'm guessing you don't smoke or drink?" she shook her head with furrowed brows.

"absolutely not.. you do?"

"i drink occasionally." he said while breaking another piece off of the lemon cake.

"aren't you too young still." she said with a soft laugh, resting her feet back on the floor as she noticed the time. he noticed this and wrapped up her half of the croissant and placed it on her lap then turned back towards the wheel.

"yeah, but my birthday is in a few months." she nodded in acknowledgment. he drove them back to campus and he dropped her off by her car.

"let me know a good time and place to meet up this weekend." he said while grabbing her backpack from the back seat.

"will do." she smiled, reaching for her coffee.

"i hope i didn't hold you guys up." he smiled warmly. she closed the door and watched him drive off before walking to her car, noticing eryn was already in the passenger seat.

"little miss mack, hanging out with mr nixon... the bad boy of school." he teased, sitting up in his seat.

"he's not that bad." she retorted, putting her backpack in the backseat.

"yeah of course not." eryn smiled sarcastically.

"don't let him fog up your mind mackenzie.. you know about what he does with girls." she scoffed while beginning to drive to her house.

"yeah, but i'm not jenna, or sam, or lexi... it's not gonna happen." she rested both of her hands on the wheel.

"i'm just saying... i'm sure none of them wanted to be a one night stand then completely forgot about." she sighed.

"yeah but that was also our first year of college, two years ago." eryn shrugged.

"yeah, okay... i just think you could pick someone, like you."

"eryn.. it's not like i'm marrying him.. i don't even like him like that." he sighed.

"i know.. but i also know this would be your first time for everything.. i don't want him to take advantage of you." she grumbled mockingly.

"yeah, i'll make sure to tell you everything." he noticed the annoyance in her tone, also the fact that she was driving to his house instead of hers now. he felt bad but truly he meant well, he knew how harsh boys could be and he didn't want her to experience that.