chapter twelve

the next morning she was first to wake. she could tell he was still asleep from his light snoring, so she just stayed still, softly running her fingers through his messy hair.

she grabbed her phone and switched between the apps for the next hour, her hand absentmindedly rubbing his back. when he woke up he just stayed pressed against her, finding comfort in the way she held him. a knock on the door maybe them both look over, seeing her dad peak in.

"good morning, breakfast is ready if you guys are hungry." she smiled.

"i'll be down in a few." mackenzie smiled and sat her phone on the pillows besides her.

"are you awake?" she whispered, kissing the top of his head.

"yeah, but i'm not big on breakfast... is it okay if i stay here?" she smiled and nodded, sliding from under him.

"i'll be back." she smiled, kissing his cheek before walking out of the room.
~~~
when she returned later he'd fallen back asleep, cuddled into her pillows. she grabbed her towel down from the door and walked into the bathroom to take a shower. she didn't take too long in the shower, just long enough to not feel sweaty and sticky.

"shit, i'm sorry.. i figured you'd still be asleep." she said while holding her towel just a little tighter around her body.

"oh, i could get out if you need me to." she smiled and shook her head, walking to her dresser.

"it's okay, just close your eyes.. okay?" he nodded and turned the other way so his back faced her. mackenzie went into her own world while picking out what she wanted to put on, overall settling on some black sweatpants and a cartoon t-shirt.

she quickly got dressed then climbed onto him, cupping his cheeks.

"thanks." she smiled, pecking his lips. he smiled and laid into the pillows, pulling her with him.

"we can't just sleep all day." she giggled, playing with his light hair.

"why not?" nixon asked, holding her tighter while letting his eyes flutter closed.

"because it's a nice day out." she muttered, hugging onto his body.

"yeah okay, just a few more minutes." he pulled the blankets over them more, cuddling into her body.
~~~~
the next week in school they were a lot closer, he was slowly introducing her to all of his friends. he knew they could be intimidating so he did it one by one until everyone knew each other.

at lunch she sat with them, even though she normally didn't eat school lunch. and she opted to sit with them because eryn was out for lunch with mason.

"so, you're the new flavor of the month?" one of the girls asked that was laid against a guys shoulder. she didn't reply, only looked over to nixon. he pulled her to him and kissed the top of her head.

"ignore her." he whispered, swaying with her.

"you don't have to be a dick, emily." he said while playing in mackenzie's hair.

"to be fair this is your third boyfriend this month." tyler shrugged. after this the table fell quiet before eventually beginning to talk again.

"i was thinking we could go to my house this weekend." he said as he walked her to class.

"yeah, that sounds like fun." he smiled and rested his arm over her shoulder.

"we could get some movies and snacks... just chill, you know?" she smiled and nodded, turning to him when they reached her class room.

"i'll see you after class." she smiled, lifting onto her tippy toes and pecked his lips, turning to walk into the classroom. she pulled out her laptop and notebook before she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"mackenzie right?" a blond guys asked, sitting in the chair next to her.

"yeah, you're jack?" he nodded.

"yup.. i was wondering if you could help me with some assignments." she smiled and shrugged.

"yeah, tomorrow at lunch okay?" he sighed.

"i was thinking maybe in the library, just me and you." she found this odd but overall shrugged, she wouldn't be able to get anything done in the lunch room either.
~~~
"i was thinking tomorrow we could ditch lunch, go get some coffee and maybe do some homework." nixon said as he drove mackenzie home.

"maybe we could bring along jack, he wanted me to help him with some assignments." he looked over to her.

"jack?" he asked. jack didn't care about school, and he hadn't since he was in high school, but his parents forced him to go to college. he also knew jack liked her, but dropped it as his friends teased him about liking a nerd.

"yeah, he said he needed some help.. is that okay?" she asked while reaching for his hand.

"no, but it's not your fault.. i'll handle it." her eyebrows furrowed.

"i'm sorry." she muttered. he pulled into her driveway and walked her to the front porch like he always did.

"it's okay baby, don't worry about it.. call me when you get a chance alright?" she nodded and he kissed her forehead. she got in and was greeted by madeline like she always was.