chapter twenty eight

the next morning nixon was surprisingly first to wake. he noticed mackenzie slept pretty hard last night so he didn't want to wake her. he climbed out of bed quietly and walked downstairs to see mason cooking breakfast.

"good morning, do you want breakfast?" he asked while taking the waffle out of the iron and sliding the plate to tyler.

"uh sure, could you make a few for mackenzie too?" mason nodded before focusing back on what he was doing.

"where is mackenzie anyway?" eryn asked while taking a bite from his bacon.

"she's still sleeping, i didn't want to wake her though."

"mackenzie is still asleep?" mason said while looking up from the stove. they all knew mackenzie was always the first awake in their group, even if they weren't all together she would send tiktoks to their group chat at six in the morning.

"i wonder why that is." tyler smirked at nixon.

"don't tease her." he said defeatedly, sitting down besides tyler.

"oh i'm not gonna tease her, but i will tease you." they all turned to see mackenzie walking into the kitchen, climbing into nixons lap and laid her head on his shoulder.

"good morning." he said while rubbing her back. mason slid a plate of waffles, eggs and bacon to nixon.

"here, eat." he said before tapping her shoulder. she flipped around to face the island they all sat at. she could feel the tension in the room, and she knew what it was about. she was just waiting for anyone to say anything.

"so, last night." eryn said after standing from his chair and washing his plate. mackenzie just glanced up at him with squinted eyes.

"you guys have a good time?" kayden asked cautiously from the couch.

"fuck you guys." she said with a playful giggle, her cheeks flushed red. nixon pressed a kiss to her shoulder blade as he was passed a plate of food. he let her sit in the seat they already occupied and sat himself in the one eryn sat at a few minutes ago.

"thanks mason." nixon smiled. after awhile they all fell into comfortable silence while eating or watching the movie kayden had on. almost everyone had on their matching pajamas. they were the typical red, green and white plaid pajamas with a green shirt but they were all psyched to be matching.

"can we open presents yet?" tyler asked as everyone sat down on the couch. mackenzie laughed at this.

"it's literally your house." she giggled. he shrugged and stood from the couch.

"i figured i should ask before just opening them." they all migrated to the floor around the christmas tree, passing each other the gifts with their names on them. they did this for about forty five minutes, showing each other the things they got, some of which were just stupid silly or inappropriate gifts.

"should we go test it out?" mason smirked, holding the fleshlight box tyler gifted him.

"absolutely not, i've heard enough for this month?" kayden smirked.

"what, enough of ~nixon, ah nixon." mackenzie's cheeks blushed red.

"i'm never gonna live this down am i?" she looked to nixon.

"probably not." he laughed and wrapped his arm over her shoulder.
~~~~
later mackenzie baked some cake and cookies while mason cooked them dinner. they didn't want to go full out on dinner, being that most of their parents already cooked for dinner. mason made a ham, baked potatoes macaroni and rolls with a few different vegetables.

they all wanted different things so mason tried to make it happen. tyler helped with the vegetables while mackenzie finished up the desserts.

kayden set the table while nixon and eryn turned on music and joked with the rest of the group. nixon walked to mackenzie and redid her bun, keeping her hair out of her face before kissing her cheek.

"need help with anything?" he asked while swaying their bodies to the music.

"no, this is the last thing i have to do." she said while whipping the icing for her cake. after thirty minutes they all sat down to eat. tyler just looked around his table, and his house, he felt like a little kid again. christmas had the same effect it had on him when he was six years old and still believed in santa.

"you guys have made this christmas one of the very best." he said, getting a pout from mackenzie.

"aww, tyler's getting sappy?" he glanced back down to his plate.

"no, of course not..." he paused to take a bite out of his food.

"i just wanted to say how much i appreciate you guys." he said while watching eryn stand from his seat.

"thanks for having us." he said while hugging him, but tyler's face frowned.

"okay, get off me." he grumbled, shaking the redhead from his shoulders. they all laughed and fell back into casual conversation.
---
by december 29th everyone went back to their own house. mackenzie and nixon were the last ones left hanging out with tyler. really mackenzie felt bad to leave him alone after what he said the other day, but she left when nixon did, being that it would be overly awkward without him.

"call me when you get home safe, i love you." nixon said after sitting the rest of her things in the passenger seat. her eyes widened at this, looking at him lovingly. she did love him, a lot, she just never got enough courage for those words to leave her mouth.. well until now.

"i will, i love you." she cooed, opening her arms for a hug.

"this was fun, we should plan something for every holiday." he said before kissing her lips.

"drive safe princess." she smiled before he closed her door. it felt nice to be loved by some other than family. of course she had eryn but this was different. this felt like a forever love, like they'd always love each other just like they did today.