Chapter 6: The Attic

As Cale walked at the classroom, he can hear two demons gossiping somewhere nearby.

"Did you hear the news? Apparently that human forge a pact with Mammon." (Demon A)

"Seriously? I don't get it. Why forge a pact with an ordinary human?" (Demon B)

🛡️: Wow, rumors sure spread fast here, to the point that it's scary.

🌪️: Agree, the pact just happened last night.

🔥: How the hell did they even know?

"Huh. Whenever you make an important announcement, the demons here couldn't care less. But rumors...they really do spread like a wildfire."

Cale glance at the person behind him.

'Who the hell is this guy?'

"Just when I thought the uproar about the new exchange student from another human world to subside some, now they're all freaking out about this."

🪨: I like this guy. I wonder who he is?

Cale doesn't really mind the rumors. He got used hearing rumors about him back from his world and his previous world.

"Come now, don't say that, Barbatos."

'Barbatos?'

🌪️: Diavolo's butler?

🛡️: The butler who had the ability to see both the future and the past?

🪨: I think that's him.

"Actually, I'd say that all this gossip is a good thing. It means that everyone will be watching this human, which makes it hard for any demon to go after Cale's soul when no one is looking."

Cale definitely didn't like Diavolo's words. I mean, how is being a center of attention a good thing? Cale can protect himself from any demon since he have his ancient powers with him, but that doesn't mean that he's gonna make them all as his enemies.

"Yes. Since Mammon is not doing a very good job as a guardian"

Lucifer agrees to Diavolo's words.

"I told him to look after Cale, but he's off somewhere shirking his responsibilities. Though I figured this would happen."

🔥: That guy left Cale!

(A/N: Why does it sound like they broke up?)

"I must say, I can't believe you manage to forge a pact with Mammon. That's no small feat. And what's more, you did it on a short time. Must be the effect of being a commander and a strategist."

Cale blink. He doesn't know whether to agree with Diavolo or not.

"I supposed it stands as proof that the god of death chose well bringing this human here, Lord Diavolo."

'The god of death again? I knew it. The other gods were force to agree because of that bastard.'

"May I ask who are you?"

"..Ah yes, pardon me. I'm supposed we haven't met before, have we?"

Barbatos gaze at Cale. As Cale met his eyes, he suddenly felt ominous or was it his imagination?

"My name is Barbatos. I apologies for not introducing myself sooner. I have the honor of serving as a stewart to Lord Diavolo. Please make your acquaintance."

Barbatos slightly bow at Cale.

"Barbatos here is a smart and talented individual, so much so that I wish I could trade a certain idiot brother of mine for him instead."