>12<

-Aisha-

My class is the last one to be dismissed, causing me to be mildly irritated because I already know it's going to be hard to find proper seats at the assembly.

The moment the teacher says we can leave, I was the first one to leave the class stopping almost immediately when I saw Azrail staring at me.

"Why the rush?" He asks, grinning down at me.

"I want to get a good seat," I pout. "How'd you get permission to wait for me?"

"I don't have a last period." He says, holding my hand as we walk towards the gymnasium with the other students from my class in front of us.

"You don't have one or you chose not to go to one?"

He winks and says nothing. The gym was crowded and it seems like there were no good seats saved, I turn to Azrail. Before I could say anything, I hear my voice being screamed by a very loud Tessa.

She saved not one but two seats in the front for us. I could kiss her right now. Blake was next to her glaring at Azrail, I turn to Azrail doing the same thing.

"We can find somewhere else if you want," I tell him, it also looks a bit crowded and I don't want him to feel too uncomfortable.

"It's cool, I'll be extra careful." He says and with that, we both walk toward Tessa and Blake. I sit next to Tessa and Azrail next to me, creating a nice distance between the boys.

"Since when do you attend assemblies?" Blake says to him.

"Since when did you care about my whereabouts Ben?" Azrail bites back.

The people around us acted like they weren't paying attention but it was obvious that they were. The testosterone between the two boys was choking up the room.

"Alright, down boys. The assembly is starting." I mediate between them, leaving no room for argument.

Blake mumbles something under his breath but says nothing. I turn to Azrail and frown at him. He purposefully gets his name wrong, and I know Blake is annoying but stopping to his level doesn't make it better.

"You don't attend assemblies?" I ask.

"Too many people," Azrail says shrugging.

I pay closer attention to him, his left need was shaking slightly and he was purposefully making himself small to not touch anyone. My heart breaks, he looks so vulnerable right now.

I bring myself closer to him, slightly nudging people around him to scoot a little further away. I got some looks but they moved with a quickness once they saw my face.

"You didn't have to come you know," I whispered to him.

"I wanted to," he says back, putting his hand on my knee and drawing circles. Something I notice he does when he is feeling nervous about something.

The assembly dragged on. First, the history teachers talked about the history of Halloween for a brief moment, and then one of the counselors talked about what happened last year, how to be an ally and speak up, and the different types of resources to use if we get discriminated against.

Afterward, the vice principal did a slide show of what costume was deemed inappropriate and why. He included pictures of different mockery of races and the sexualization of religion. Following on how to do a costume without doing blackface and being racist overall.

I can't believe that this is something that still needs to be taught.

"Remember, if you have to think 'is this offensive' 9 times out of 10 it is." He finishes.

The teachers and students give a round of applause. After that, an all too familiar police officer and son duo come up to the stand making me perk up. I feel Azrail's eyes on me but say nothing.

"We will now be finishing with one last announcement," The principal says.

I hear the students around us start to whisper, wondering if they caught the racists from last year.

"Good Afternoon Hoover High, my name is Officer Walker this is my son, Jack Walker we are both working on a case that we can't fully disclose but with Halloween coming up crime rate is rising and we would like for you guys to be safe." Officer Walker says, I raise a brow at Jack who caught my eyes and wink.

"There has been a series of murders," Officer Walker states causing the students to go in upward. "Now calm down, you guys are not at risk. This killer is targeting drug dealers, and ex-criminals but some of the most recent ones have been within a 10-mile radius of this school. We ask you all to be careful, and if you have any suspicion or anything that could help us with this investigation please stop by the station and give a statement."

I look at Azrail who seems to be holding his breath, his leg shaking. I hold his hand and tighten my hold, trying to calm him down.

Could those murders be? No...

"My son Jack will be informing you guys how to be safe during the Halloween weekend."

I drown out Jack's voice and focus on Azrail.

"Breathe love," I tell him. Soothing him but it seems that it's not helping at all.

"What's wrong?" Tessa asks raising a brow.

I shrug and take Azrail hand. "We'll be back."

I dragged Azrail out carefully, going to an empty secluded hallway. He lets out a big breath and faints.

"AZRAIL."