Chapter 20

I stare wide eyed at the man in front of me. "How long have you been awake?"

He shrugs. "I've been in and out for the since Tuesday." He eyes me with curiosity.

I shake my head in confusion. "But it's Thursday, how could the nurses not tell you have been awake?"

The nurses had to have checked his brain activity screen at least one time. Or maybe they are just slackers.

He grins mischievously at me. "I cleared the screen every time I woke up. Set it up so that nothing would show."

My jaw hits the floor. Smart ass.

"But then why could I see it?" I ask, gesturing to the monitor.

"I didn't clear it today." He stares deep into my eyes.

I look down at the floor. Why would he do that? After a few seconds my eyes widen again.

"You wanted me to find it. You know I only work Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays." The bastard planned the whole thing!

He grins again. "Yes, Kat, I did."

"Why?"

His face turns serious and he leans closer go me. "I know who hit me. And it has something to do with you."

I take a step back. "Me?"

He nods solemnly. He looks to the door and then back at me. I go over and close the door and then pull up a chair right next to his bed.

He leans in and so do I.

"You need to answer my questions honestly got it?" He says. I'm a little taken aback by his serious tone but nod.

"What pack did you run from?"

I swallow. You can trust him. "Blood Pool. In Montana."

He freezes before closing his eyes slowly. I immediately lean closer to him and pull his hand into mine.

"Don? Don! Wake up!" I whisper yell.

He squeezes my hand back and takes a few deep breaths before opening his eyes again.

"You live near a pack of rogues." He says and it isn't a question.

At first I'm confused but then realization dawns on me. "You were hit by rogues." I gulp. "And they were looking for me."

He nods. "You're a smart girl you know that?"

Tears pool in my eyes. I caused this. I turn away from him and stand up from the chair. I can't even look at him, knowing that if I hadn't ran, if I just faced my problems then he never would have gotten hurt.

"Katherine I know what you're doing. Come back over here." He says. I don't turn around. I hate crying in front if people.

"Katherine." His voice is more demanding and holds an edge to it.

I turn and stand still in my spot. I don't look at him but hear him patting the chair I was once sitting in.

I don't move out if my position across the room. Instead we both just stay in silence.

We are both very stubborn people. And we both know it.

I eventually cave first and go slump in the chair. I wipe away the tears from my cheeks before turning to face him.

"In no way, shape, or form is this your fault. You came here for a reason and we wouldn't have welcomed you if we thought it would be something we couldn't handle. I'm going to be fine, Kat and you are too. Now stop stressing yourself out. I want a healthy grandchild."

I laugh and my heart swells. He thinks I am like a daughter to him.

My mood drops, though once I think about his question earlier. He must see it on my face because he grabs both my hands in his. Before I know what I'm doing, everything that happens two months ago came tumbling out of my mouth.

I haven't told anyone the full story of what happened and neither has Alex. We felt that when the time was right, we would tell alpha. He understood too and so does everyone else.

When I'm done we sit in silence.

"D-do you happen to know who those people are?" My chances are slim of him knowing who they are but I might as well ask since I told him the story.

He rubs his jaw and steals a glance at me before looking away again. "Declan and Carrie Eirnanzo." He mutters and then huffs a single laugh. "I can't believe it's you."

I lean forward. "What's me? You know them?" My heart beats in anticipation of his answer. I should not be getting this hopeful over this though right?

He clears his throat. "Now, just hold on. Let me start from the beginning." I nod. "Declan and Carrie are mates. They used to live in the pack neighboring this one." He shakes his head and smiles like he's thinking back on a memory. "They were perfect together and everyone knew it. If you want to know about love at first sight, then ask them. They got married and she got pregnant. But like all fairy tales, things didn't turn out perfect for them. Their alpha, Reed, hadn't found his mate and he was 43. He believed that Carrie was the one for him and since he was the alpha, well you know, he took her away.

"He didn't know she was pregnant and when he found out, he threatened to kill the baby. Somehow, someway, she got away and after about 5 months gave birth. She knew that the only way to keep the baby safe, she would need to give her away. So she found a newly mated couple who agreed to pretend the baby was theirs. she then fled and found Declan again. They disappeared a week later and no one knows where they are. Many people say that they are being held captive somewhere; some think they fled. No one knows."

My heart thumps loudly in my chest, I think Don could hear it. I wish I could have that kind of relationship with my mate but scratch the whole drama scene at the end. Not possible.

I shake my head in confusion. "What does this have to do with me?"

"What is your middle name?" He asks,

I'm thrown off by the question. "Um, Grace. Why?"

He nods and then smiles grimly. "Katherine Grace Eirnanzo." His eyes bore into mine. "Fits perfectly."