Chapter 35

A/N: Can we all take a moment to acknowledge that this is the 35th chapter!!!!

Ok. Back to my depressing story.

-------------

The pain is almost instant and with it comes the memories from before I took my little nap.

But I don't cry.

No I can't afford weakness in front of the man kneeling down next to me, touching my shoulders.

I inch myself away from Brad, narrowing my eyes.

"You were crying." He mumbled before baking away from me. He eyes my feet and I smile.

Still afraid of them.

"You haven't exactly given my happy news." I snap and sit up, regretting it as pain sears up my back.

Damn pregnancy pains.

Brad looks into my eyes for a moment. He shakes his head. "It is what it is."

In that moment I promise myself that if Gage doesn't kill him within 24 hours, I am. He had twisted my life around and all he has to say is 'it is what it is'

What. The. Hell.

"Dr. Barry will be down in a few minutes." He states and starts taking steps away from me. "Try not to kill him."

And then he winks.

And walks away.

+++++++++

Dr. Barry arrives about twenty minutes later, not making eye contact with me at all. He just comes right in carrying two bags full of who knows what and dressed in his usual gray scrubs.

He sets them down and starts pulling random crap out of it and placing it neatly on the floor.

I don't pay any more attention to him than that. A contraction came and I squeezed my eyes closed, waiting for the slight release that would follow.

Except it never came. The pain just kept coming and coming. A scream built up in my chest but I didn't dare let it out.

I notice out of the corner of my eye that Dr. Barry was now focusing his attention in me.

"What are you doing?" I ask between breaths. The air is having a harder and harder time getting into my lungs.

He looked into my eyes with a pained expression, making him look even older than I know he is.

"Brad weilds a strong source of power, you know. He isn't the helpless thing he might come off as to you." He sighs. "I didn't want to do this."

"Then don't."

He turns away from me. For a moment he doesn't do anything but then I hear a ragged laugh come from his mouth. "He's using Her power. Over all of us."

My brow furrows. "Her?"

He looks at me blankly, waiting for my brain to catch up.

My eyes widen. "The Goddess."

He nods.

I scramble for understanding. "But how is that possible. No one has connection to her."

Dr. Barry shrugs limply and doesn't meet my gaze. "Brad somehow has her in his control."

I narrow my eyes. "You know more."