《 Chapter 6: Barking Up the Wrong Tree 》

"You're just another Scavenger, like the rest of them." Thorn said.

"Oh, yeah? And what about me?" Gwen glared, gripping onto her sword tightly.

"You're... you're different. But you have to understand why I have to do it."

"That crystal is nothing but dangerous. It could lead to more disasters. Do you really think this is what Talia would want?"

"I..."

Thorn struggles to find the word, but she shakes her head and glares back at Gwen.

"Sorry, but there's no point in changing my mind. I have to protect the jungle."

"And I have protect my friends and family... from you! Hi-yah!"

Gwen and Thorn leap at each other. With her grass sword, Gwen knocks her through the air. Thorn lands on the ground with a loud thud.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~ FLASHBACK ~

In Green Hills, Gwen watches with excitement as Amy guides Sonic, who had his eyes covered, towards her and her friends that are waiting for them.

"Can I open my eyes now?" he asked.

"No, Sonic, not yet." Amy said, giggling.

"Amy, you better not be tricking me into the water again."

"No trick, Sonic. Trust me. You're gonna love it. Okay, open them!"

In Green Hill, standing before Sonic was Gwen, Amy, Knuckles, Tails, Birdie, Big, and Froggy sitting or standing next to the palm tree with a picnic blanket besides them.

"Ta-da!"

Sonic was confused and in disbelief.

"You got me... the Palm Tree? So it is a trick."

"No, Sonic, it's not a trick."

"But I already have a palm tree. That one. And that one. And those over there." he said, gesturing to all the palm trees around them.

"The gift isn't just the tree. It's all the memories we've made around that tree."

"Like that time when you bet me I couldn't fly up to the top by the time you ran home and back. You still owe me, by the way."  Tails said, flying up to the tree before chuckling.

Knuckles bumps the tree with his boxing gloves, causing the coconut to fall and he catches it.

"And the time we worked together to make Amy that coconut cream pie."

Rouge flies up next to the tree.

"Or when I saw you buy a coconut cream pie and tell Amy you made it."

She flies down and snatches the coconut from Knuckles. Amy immediately turns and glares at Sonic, who chuckles nervously. Gwen places a palm on the bark of the palm tree with a fond smile.

"And the time you have to hold me back from attacking Knuckles and Rouge that snooped around my room when I was chasing them around from this tree. You even defended me as you scold them and threatening them to spin dash them into space." she said before giggling.

"You still won't let that go, huh?" Rouge asked with a nervous smile.

"Nope." Gwen grinned.