《 Chapter 18: Ghost of a Chance 》

In Ghost Hill, palm trees and bushes wave. Above the beach, the Council Mothership slowly flies. On the deck, Council crafts and Eggforcers stand ready. On one craft, Babble types. On another, Done It types.

"Crush everything in your path until you find the Shards along with Gwen!" Mr. Doctor Eggman ordered.

The two crafts take off. Eggforcers jump down to the beach and march toward Ghost Temple Mountain. The crafts fly in the same direction. Sonic and Shadow watch.

"Don't you just hate this part?" Sonic sighed. "The buildups? Shadow and Sonic, versus unbeatable odds, with the fate of the world at stake. Like, let's just get on with it already!"

Sonic starts stretching while Shadow just deadpans at him.

"Hey, I'm not gonna be the one who pulls a hammy."

"What about him and Gwen?" Shadow asked, gesturing to the cave where Nine and Gwen are. "We can't just leave him along with the Prism Shards and Gwen."

Sonic states the obvious.

"Uh, yes we can. Seeing as he's the only one who can put them back together, and y'know, fix reality? Plus, Gwen said she trusts him, so I trust him too. You really don't trust him, do you?"

"No." Shadow replied without hesitation.

"Of course you don't. You don't trust anyone, well except Gwen, since you two are close." Sonic said. "You wanna stay here and babysit? Fine. Knock yourself out. I'm gonna go buy us some time."

Sonic jumps off the mountain. Shadow scowls with his arms crossed. He then follows Sonic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile in the cave, Gwen's ears twitches and looks over.

"Something's wrong." she said.

"Looks like the Council caught up with us. I gotta make it quick."

Nine stands in front of the prism blueprint. With two of his tails, he holds the blue shard in the air. He carefully moves it to the outline of the Paradox Prism. The blue shard then sits in place, much to Gwen's relief.

"There." Nine smiled. "Two more, then home for the last Shard."

She raised her eyebrow on what he meant by that. Nine goes to the case and lifts out the red shard. He takes it to the blueprint. As the shard floats between his two tails, he readies it. Nine looks at the outline of the blueprint and rotates the shard. He raises it closer to the blueprint. He turns it and moves it higher. The red shard shakes and the shockwave blasts through the mountain. Gwen was shocked at this. She runs outside of the cave and noticed the dull colors everywhere turn brighter.

In a second, the shockwave passes her and the Ghost Hill returns. She hears Sonic calling her and Nine from her regulator.

"Nine? Sis? You guys okay?"

"Yeah, this is a little trickier than I thought." Nine replied.

"What happened? Reality was flippin' out over here!"

"Like I said, this is a challenge. You're gonna have to buy me some more time."

"Just... be careful out there, bro." Gwen said.

"No problem, guys!"

Gwen watches as Sonic and Shadow fights the Council and the Eggforcers. Explosions and gunfires could be heard in the distance. She wanted to come down there and help them fight. But she hesitated, remembering about her powers being drained and making her weak. She only managed to use a bit of her power to save Nine from falling into the water back at No Place.