Chapter XLII

Stealing a last but furtive glance at his retreating figure, Anamika willed her heart to calm down with arduous efforts.

Anamika won't lie, she'd felt the hair on her nape rise in anticipation when he'd leaned into her and only, she knew how she'd stopped herself from going in a frenzy.

Calming her tumultuous nerves and hiding any remnants of this evanescent meeting, Anamika sported a soft, small smile as she crossed the threshold and walked inside.

And like always she found Kusumlata perched up on her beloved wooden swing, overlooking the preparation for Deepavali with keen eyes. The young girl respectfully greeted Kusumlata, who in turn pulled her in a warm, affectionate embrace, raining down blessings on her.

"My sweet child. You're looking so lovely today. May Lord Krishna always save you from the evil eyes," articulated Kusumlata as she kissed Anamika's palm with intemperate affection.

"And may Lord Krishna also save my lovely grandma who still have it in her to give complex to even heroines," buttered Anamika, drawing a shy but heartfelt laugh from the old woman,

"Kasturi! Come see! Our Anamika has even learnt to sweet talk," called an exultant Kusumlata, "Look how endearing her talks are,"

Hearing her mother calling her name, Kasturi came rushing out of the Temple room and her smile reached her eyes almost instantly when she looked at Anamika,

"Oh! Now you come! where were you since morning, young lady?" Kasturi chastises softly and hugs the young girl,

"Happy Deepavali auntie! And I'm sorry I didn't come, you see Maa wasn't feeling good so all the work fell on me and Shivangi di, "Anamika provides in a timid voice.

Concern mars Kasturi's radiant face as a worried frown replaced the previous illuminating smile, "Why? What happened to Radha?" she queries with apprehension, "She was fine in the morning, we even shared a nice chat,"

"Don't get so worked up auntie, she's all fine now. Her body demanded some rest, that's all," Anamika provides in a bid to eliminate the concern marring her face.

Then remembering why her maa send her here, Anamika swiftly passes the thal in Kasturi's hands, "Maa sends this," she says.

"Oh! the pooja had already been done in your home," exclaimed Kasturi then fretfully added, "And see here! Your uncle hasn't even come home yet. Even when I strictly told him to come before the mahurat passes," displeasure perceptible in her otherwise melodious voice.

"Papa is at the sweet shop. It'll take him some more time to come home," informs Ira as she descended the stairs, having come from the terrace after lining up the cemented boundaries with innumerable earthen lamps,

"What? Why is he there? Here I've zilch space in my refrigerator which is stocked up with sweet boxes and now he's buying more sweets?!" Kasturi cried out in utter bewilderment. "Your father is just impossible Ira. Who is going to eat this much sweets?!"

Kasturi felt inexplicable frustrated at her husband's absurd behaviour. It was always like this on every single Deepavali. Ira and Anamika shared a quiet laugh and bit their lips in order to suppress their giggles.

"Seriously, Deepavali comes and he just splurges money on nothing but crackers and sweets," mutters an irked Kusumlata in a highly displeased voice, "He's even worse than Advay,"

'Vikrant uncle was so gone today,' mused Anamika. From the corner of her eyes, she saw Ira gesturing her to come with her.

Following the girl draped in a floral Anarkali, Anamika meekly asks, "Di, where did he go?"