Chapter LVI

Changing into his pajamas, Eklavya wordlessly reached for his phone on the side table. Getting inside his heavy quilt the boy dialled her up.

He hardly had to wait for a few seconds when her melodious voice rang in his ears from the other side. "What took you so long?" grumbled Anamika,

Brows knitting in mild mirth Eklavya mused, "Were you waiting for my call?"

"No. I was waiting for a wandering spirit to ring me up in the dead of night," came her sarcastic reply,

"Too bad that a mere human is calling you up right now," mused Eklavya from this side,

Although he could not see it, Eklavya could very well imagine the look of utter annoyance dancing on her face and a scowl to complement it.

"Ugh! Talk about having the memory of a goldfish..." Anamika groaned under her breath then said, "Your highness! It was only you who asked if he could call me tonight. But you know what! it's alright. I can hang up the phone and we can have this conversation some other time okay... Bye!"

Eklavya chuckled to himself and redialed her number. Anamika picked up the call in the first ring. Then asked haughtily, "Have you recovered your dead brain cells yet?"

Smirking, Eklavya said, "I have Miss Rathore," then added, "But I remember you weren't so talkative a few hours back. What had happened then?"

"A lovable idiot had said things which left me speechless. But now's not the case anymore," Anamika sassed, "And if you don't get your act together, I swear Eklavya... I'll throttle you the next time I see you," she whispered ominously low.

Raising brows at her threatening words Eklavya decided against pulling her leg anymore. Getting comfortable against the pillows he started after a thoughtful pause,

"Uhh... about what I said today. Just know that I meant every single word, Anamika,"

Anamika sucked in a sharp breath at his admittance as her heart fluttered wildly against her bosom. Does he even know one such word from him and she turns all gooey with giddy feelings?!

"I know... even if you don't tell me, I'll still know," she spoke softly, playing with her open brown tresses.

A short pause stretched between the young couple as Eklavya silently listened to her fidgeting and hesitating from the other side, reading her thoughts he asked calmly, "What do you wish to know?"

Anamika grimaced slightly at being so obvious then smoothly lied through her teeth, "Nothing! I want to know nothing..."

"Are you sure?" Eklavya teased knowing well her curiosity could not restrain itself for long.

Anamika opened her mouth to negate then changing her mind meekly asked, "Did you really fall for me from our first meeting itself?" her voice laced with impatient curiosity.

Eklavya broke into mirthful chuckles rendering her perplexed,

"I don't think I've cracked a joke here... why are you laughing?!" she exclaimed, affronted.

"Nothing... I'm just too cheery today," Eklavya provided helpfully and curbing his features said in all sincerity, "But if you wish to hear the words, I'll say them again...

And his words again successfully let loose the whole damn zoo in her stomach as she waited with bated breaths for him to continue,

The atmosphere felt saturated with anticipation as Anamika's heartbeats steadily picked up a high cadence, striving to meet the ultimate zenith tonight.