DAYLIGHT

"ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ's ᴅᴀʀᴋɴᴇss ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅɪsᴛᴀɴᴄᴇ,
ɪ'ᴍ ʙᴇɢɢɪɴɢ ғᴏʀ ғᴏʀɢɪᴠᴇɴᴇss .
ʏᴏᴜ ᴀɴᴅ ɪ ᴅʀɪɴᴋ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴏɪsᴏɴ ғʀᴏᴍ ᴛʜᴇ sᴀᴍᴇ ᴠɪɴᴇ.
ᴏʜ, ɪ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ɪᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ɪ ʜᴀᴛᴇ ɪᴛ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ sᴀᴍᴇ ᴛɪᴍᴇ.
ʜɪᴅɪɴɢ ᴀʟʟ ᴏғ ᴏᴜʀ sɪɴs ғʀᴏᴍ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʏʟɪɢʜᴛ"

- 𝐷𝑎𝑣𝑖𝑑 𝐾𝑢𝑠ℎ𝑛𝑒𝑟

"Guess we're more alike than expected"

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟑

With great effort, Amelia managed to catch up with Sebastian and reached out a hand to stop  him.

"Hey, Sebastian, wait. You weren't supposed to hear that".

He raised an eyebrow at the statement which definitely did not sound like an apology or anything that would make the situation any better.

"Yeah, and that's probably not what I should've lead with". The Shadowhunter bit her lip, knowing that that was one of the worst apologies anyone had ever made and this was the time where she actually would have to produce some sort of 'sorry'.

"I'm sorry Sebastian, I don't mean to be rude or unfair to you. It's just... we've been betrayed by someone very close to us before — a mentor, a friend and we payed a great price for it. I swore I would never let that happen again and I'm not in the habit of breaking promises. Trust doesn't come as easy to me". She studied his face, curious for a reaction. For a moment, he simply held her gaze, then he sighed.

"I'm not asking you to trust me, just don't immediately assume the worst, okay? I think it's very noble of you to look out for your friends. I wish I had someone like that", he said and for the first time since they'd met, Amelia let herself believe him. She took the sincerity in his face as a sign of trust and the dark glinting in his eyes as true melancholy.