WHATEVER IT TAKES

"ᴛᴀᴋᴇ ᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛᴏᴘ ɪ'ᴍ ʀᴇᴀᴅʏ ғᴏʀ
'ᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ɪ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀᴅʀᴇɴᴀʟɪɴᴇ ɪɴ ᴍʏ ᴠᴇɪɴs
ɪ ᴅᴏ ᴡʜᴀᴛᴇᴠᴇʀ ɪᴛ ᴛᴀᴋᴇs"

- Imagine Dragons

"You don't have to be the best, you don't even have to be the smartest, you just have to be the most cunning to win

"You don't have to be the best, you don't even have to be the smartest, you just have to be the most cunning to win."

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟖

When Amelia made her way to Alec's office the next day, the hallways were filled with busy Shadowhunters, buzzing past her, giving out nods of greeting and acknowledgement to her — to their fellow demon-blooded Shadowhunter.

With each passing by, she made it a game to guess their reaction, should they ever find out about her 'condition'.

That one would definitely argue for banning her from the Institute, that one for stripping her of her runes altogether and this one, well he probably wouldn't care.

She had gotten a taste of what it would be like back when everyone still thought Jace was demon-blooded and for her it would be much worse. It was a well-known and undeniable fact that Jace was one of their best fighters, most likely the best and they couldn't afford to lose him, demon blood or not. Amelia, while she was reputed as cunning and calculating, had never quite gained the same reputation, if only because she wasn't one to brag.

No one had questioned her promotion to second-in-charge, her testing results were visible to anyone and of course carrying the Blackthorn family name didn't hurt but no name or skill would protect her from the prejudice and contempt. Once anyone found out she had demon blood, it wouldn't matter that she was one of the best Shadowhunters till date, it wouldn't matter that she had a spotless record and it wouldn't matter that she had half angel blood too.

But that wasn't the only thing keeping her from telling anyone.

She trusted Jace, Izzy and Clary with her life but it was Alec who knew all her secrets. Alec who seemed to be capable of looking right through her at any moment, right into the dark, demonic depths of her soul. They had once made a deal to tell each other about everything they couldn't tell everyone else. He was the first one, she told about what happened the night, her mother died and she was the first one he told about Magnus and the feelings he was slowly starting to understand. They had made a vow to it but she couldn't help think that telling him would hurt him more than keeping it secret would.

Alec was already stuck in a tenuous situation with everyone accusing him of Downworld-favoritism. If it were to come out that he had appointed a demonic Shadowhunter his second — no matter that he didn't know — it was likely going to start a revolt and she didn't want to put her best friend into a situation where he had to choose between his duty and her. On the other hand, she knew how it went. The more volatile the issue, the harder it was to keep it secret.