ENEMY

"ʙᴇᴀᴜᴛɪғᴜʟ ᴍᴀsᴋ, ᴘᴜʀᴇ ᴇᴠɪʟ ʙᴇʜɪɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴅᴇ
ᴏᴜᴛ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴀʀᴋɴᴇss ɪɴᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ʟɪɢʜᴛ
ɪғ ʏᴏᴜ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴍᴇ ɢᴏɴᴇ, ʏᴏᴜ ᴘᴜʟʟ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀɪɢɢᴇʀ ʏᴏᴜʀsᴇʟғ
ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴍᴇ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇʏᴇs
ɪ sᴇᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴇ, ʏᴏᴜ ᴀʀᴇ ᴍʏ ᴇɴᴇᴍʏ"

- Beacon Light, Sam Tinnesz and Tommee Profitt

"Perhaps we simply are what we are"

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟐𝟒

"Jace, I love you, but if you keep breathing down my neck like that, I might just beat you to death with one of those books".

Jace took a few steps back respectfully and continued to look over her shoulder from afar, not daring to test her.

Amelia had been poring over pages since early in the morning when she had discovered a stack of books deposited at her doorstep, accompanied by a note.

Jace said you'd like to study about this. I hope you find what you're looking for. See you around!

- Sebastian

She had realised with a smile that his handwriting was neat and legible and nearly identical to Jace's. The titles of the books varied, included such as "Studies on Greater Demons", "Blood relations", "Historical accounts" and the latest scholarly findings.

For hours, she had tried to put the material to good use, yet each word she read seemed to blur together, forming an indistinguishable mass of information. Every page turned brought her no closer to the answers she sought and ever since Jace had turned up, his relentless scrutiny had started to not only mess with her concentration but also her patience.

With a heavy sigh, Amelia closed yet another book, the weight of disappointment settling over her like a shroud.

"Nothing?", Jace asked in a resigned tone.

"It's not like there's a lot of reference material on demon-blooded Shadowhunters", she sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. "I told you this, Jace. We know a lot more about the properties of angel blood; Shadowhunters always were discriminating when it comes to that. There's no documentation of subjects exposed to demon blood. Valentine is the only one who has ever done it, as far as we can tell, and he wrote down everything in-".

"In the book I lost. Yes, I'm aware. There wasn't anything in there except his notes on Jonathan and me and nothing about that will help us find them".

She grimaced, feeling bad for not being able to help, trying to come up with some comforting words but her mind was still occupied by one particular passage, her eyes keep drifting back to.

"Amelia?". Jace's voice broke her out of her trance.

"Huh?". He followed the line of her sight and picked up the opened book, hopefully scanning the pages. Quickly, the eagerness made way for confusion.

"Azazel? Really? Why the hell are you reading about him? He's old news", he asked and tossed the book back onto the table.

She rubbed her eyes and pulled the book closer once more.