THE DEVIL WITHIN

"ɪ'ᴍ ɢᴏɴɴᴀ ᴍᴀᴋᴇ ʏᴏᴜ sᴜғғᴇʀ
ɪ'ᴍ ᴜɴᴅᴇʀɴᴇᴀᴛʜ ʏᴏᴜʀ sᴋɪɴ
ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴠɪʟ ᴡɪᴛʜɪɴ
ʏᴏᴜ'ʟʟ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴋɴᴏᴡ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʜɪᴛ ʏᴏᴜ"

- Digital Daggers

"Where did you go?""Hell"

"Where did you go?"
"Hell".

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗

Sebastian led them to a small antique shop that Amelia had never been to before but even before she set a foot inside, the chaos was evident.
The cracked and shattered glass panes gave a clear view to the destruction inside the shop.
"Looks like someone was experiencing an unbridled urge to redecorate", Amelia muttered under her breath and Sebastian let out an airy laugh that got Amelia wondering if he was so nervous because of Clary. She hadn't forgotten the brush-off he had received for asking the redhead out on a date and she guessed neither had he.

She immediately regretted the distasteful comment however when she spotted Clary crouching before a warlock who had used a self-sacrificial spell on himself.

Unrecognised by the two, Amelia and Sebastian tiptoed over broken wood and splinters of glass when he misstepped and a loud crack caused Jace to whirl around.

"What are you doing here?", he asked the pair after removing his hand from his blade.

"Saw the alert at the Institute", Sebastian replied smoothly to which Amelia hoisted an eyebrow but didn't say anything since Jace seemed to assume the same answer applied to her as well.
He nodded and they continued to inspect the scenery when he spoke again.

"Something doesn't add up".

The two men discussed a little further but Amelia had zoned out the moment she spotted the charcoal demon patches on the floor. She crouched down to take a closer look and dragged two fingers through the liquid, feeling the viscous consistency of the substance when a jolt shot through her body. Suddenly, she was engulfed by darkness, blackness all around her, bitter cold wrapped around her body like a second skin, electricity raced through her veins and flames started to lick a piercing trail up her arms. She was drowning and suffocating and burning and ripping apart at the same time. All she felt was anger, hate, betrayal, loneliness... and then she tore herself free, stumbling backwards into something.

"Careful", Sebastian called out, bringing his hands down to steady her. Her body had started to shake and her heart was racing. Her iratze was tingling, trying to heal the pain and burns that weren't hers. She peered down to see a luminous red through the thin fabric of her shirt and if she had to take a guess, her eyes must've been painted in the same crimson glow.