Chapter 2

In my dream, I was so happy. Probably the happiest I've ever been would be in my dreams. I see them as escapism or a way to escape my reality. Although I love sleeping and dreaming, when I wake up I'm suddenly feeling devastated. My life wasn't the dream.

     I jolted awake suddenly from my slumber to us landing. I heard the attendant on the intercom say we landed, and everyone began to clap. The loudness of the clapping in such a cramped space was enough to wake me up fully. I then got my carry-ons and left the plane. I soon arrived at the Port Angeles airport and went to baggage claim. On my way there, though, I could see a tall figure in the distance. He had jet black hair and a mustache which laid on his upper lip cleanly. I soon recognized him to be my father as his smile spread. He was wearing his sheriff's jacket and cop uniform. I assumed he got out of work to pick me up.

     The smile on my face grew wide as I ran to him.

     "Dad!"

     "N/N," He said happily.

     I soon was enveloped in his arms and he gave me a warm hug. I was so happy to be with him after so long.

     "I missed you, dear,"

     "I missed you, too, dad," I smiled.

     "Now come on," he said letting go, "let's get your bags and get home."

      I nodded and we went to baggage claim together. We talked for a bit about what was going on back in H/T before finally getting my bags and getting out of there. We put all my bags into the trunk of his cop car, and he drove us back to his house. The ride, unlike when I was with my mother, was energetic and happy. It was pretty welcoming. I knew then that I would definitely be happier here. My dad always started the conversations and we had so much to talk about.

     "So, are you nervous about going to Forks High School?" He asked.

     "I guess I am, but I'm also excited. I want to meet new people and really just make friends," I replied looking at the scenery before us.

     I noticed as we got closer and closer to Forks, and I noticed it got more cloudy. The sun soon disappeared from the sky, and we were left in the dampness of the land.

     "Yeah, I hear ya. I know it's odd starting off in a new high school during the second semester, but that just means you won't have to stay in school for too long. Summer's right around the corner," he mentioned.

     "Speaking of summer, I noticed it's really cloudy out..." I mentioned.

     "Well, we're in Forks. It's usually rainy and cloudy here. Might as well get used to the gloom,"

     "Is it ever sunny?"

     "Rarely, but it happens." He finished.

     I looked around observing the town and we passed the high school. It looked nice from what I could see, and the students look so much more down to Earth than at my old school. Soon, my dads street came into view and we pulled up to a beautiful white house. Once he parked I hopped out of the car and he grabbed my bags for me. I observed the house while he brought my bags inside and to my room. I soon walked in and was greeted with a white and gray interior. It was quite pretty actually. The couches looked well taken care of with a blanket draped on them and the kitchen was clean with white countertops. I went upstairs and he showed me my room. It was clean and had its own vanity, wardrobe, closet, and bay window. The bed was a full size mattress and he picked out some sheets for me.

     "I tried my best with your room," he said, putting his hands on his hips and observing the space.

     "I know, but it's still nice. Just needs a woman's touch," I smiled.

     He huffed, "Yeah, well, you get settled. I have some guys coming over in a bit for a certain someone,"

     I crossed my arms and watched him leave and go downstairs. I started to unpack when I heard a door slam and voices outside. I looked out my bay window to see an old, rusted, orange truck and two other men. One was in a wheelchair, and the other with tan skin, brown eyes, and long, dark hair past his shoulders. I came downstairs to greet them, and my dad welcomed me.

     "Y/N, this is Billy Black," he said.

     I held out my hand for him to shake and he smiled, "Good to meet you. Charlie always talks about you,"

     "Good things, I hope," I replied, letting his hand go.

     "Oh, of course," he said, "He wouldn't shut up about you since he said you were coming,"

     My dad, embarrassed, rolled his eyes and said, "Yeah, yeah, keep exaggerating. I'll roll you into the mud,"

     "After I ram you in the ankles," Billy replied, following my father into the street.

     They jokingly fought for a bit before the boy walked up to me. When we first locked eyes he couldn't look away from me. I guess I already had an admirer.

     "Hi, I'm Jacob," he walked up to me.

     "Y/N," I smiled, "are they always like this?"

     "It gets worse with old age," he chuckled.

     I smiled at his little joke, and the longer I observed him, the more he looked at me. It would weird me out, but I'm already attracted to him. This is just a crush. My dad and Billy stopped fighting, and they came back over to Jacob and I.

     "So, what do you think?" dad asked.

     "About what?" I replied.

     He lightly smacked the side of the orange truck, "Your homecoming present,"

     "This?" my eyes widened.

     "Just bought it off of Billy here," he replied.

     "I totally rebuilt the engine for you," Jacob smiled.

     Our eyes met and I looked at my father, "Was this the surprise?"

     He nodded with a smirk.

     "Oh, my god! This is perfect, and you're for real?" I asked observing the truck.

     He nodded again and my smile only got bigger. I opened the door and hopped into the driver's seat. Jacob joined me on the passenger side.

     "So, you gotta double pump the clutch when you shift, but other than that you should be good," Jacob commented.

     "And that's... here?" I put my foot on the clutch.

     Jacob leaned over and his long hair fell off of his shoulder. I could smell a slight scent of cologne off of him.

     "Yeah, that," he smiled.

     I pumped it and the truck came to life. I was pretty psyched about having my own car. Or truck.

     "Do you want a ride to school or something?" I asked with my hands on the steering wheel.

     "Oh I go to school on the reservation," he replied.

     "Oh okay. That's too bad. It would've been nice to know one person," I replied.

     Out of the corner of my eye I could see him watching me and listening to every word I was saying. It made my heart race with anticipation and excitement. I think I really grew attracted to him.