Chapter 8

Over the course of the next few days, Jacob and I got closer than before. He was growing more and more flirtatious, which I loved. Other than that, school was a bore, but sometimes the students there would make it exciting. Speaking of my dads investigation, the "animal" was back in Forks. For what, I have no idea, but I sure as hell kept that can of mace on me.

     One night, my friends invited me out to the diner. Eric was together with Angela, and Jessica was with Mike. We all sat together in a booth and talked about school, surfing, the yearbook, etc. It was just a bunch of boring stuff, really. As we sat and ate, all I could think was Jacob. I wondered what he was doing, or if he was thinking about me. All this thought was soon disrupted by my father calling me.

     "Hang on guys, it's my dad," I said.

     I stood up from where I was sitting and walked a few feet away from the group. I answered the phone to hear him questioning me. I had forgotten to tell him where I was going.

     "Y/N, where the hell are you?" he asked on the other line.

     "I'm out with my friends at the diner," I responded honestly.

     "You didn't tell me,"

     "I just forgot, okay?"

     "You can't afford to forget. Not even now. Somethings out in those woods. I want you back home," he said.

     "But dad-"

     "Now, N/N," he demanded.

     I didn't have my truck with me, and I didn't want to be a pest to Jessica since she drove us here. Besides, I was only a few blocks away, so I chose to walk. I walked back over to the group and sadly told them I had to leave.

     "Wait, what?" Jessica said.

     "I know, but he's my father. He already lost Waylon," I stated.

     They all sighed.

     "Are you, like, gonna walk back?" Jessica asked.

     "Yeah, I don't want to interrupt you guys just cuz my dad wants me home,"

     "Are you sure, though? It's pretty dark," Angela said.

     "I'll be fine. There's street lamps," I reassured.

     The girls didn't seem too happy about it, but they let me go. I grabbed my bag and coat, and I left the diner. The cool air hit me like a stone which caused shivers to run down my spine, but I continued to walk. As I walked down the empty street, I just thought about one thing. How terrified I was. I was exposed and alone. A young girl out in the open. At night. Alone. But of course, my courtesy overruled me, and refused a ride home. Who likes being an inconvenience anyways? My mother always called me that. Like I was a problem. I was glad she didn't text or call me. I never wanted to hear from her.

     I realized I was getting too into my head in thought, and I brushed it all off. I had to stay alert at this time. I had to be ready to defend myself if anything happened, god forbid. I inhaled and exhaled the cold air, and listened to my surroundings. Mindfulness is something that I had to practice often, or else I wouldn't live in the moment. I've been getting better, but it's difficult to stay on course.

     No, no. Focus. I thought. I kept walking. I listened to my feet hit the concrete, and the gentle wind tickle the trees. I listened for cars in the distance, but heard nothing. I then stopped in my tracks as the hair on my body began to stand. I was getting a sixth sense feeling that I was being watched. And followed. I turned my head like it was on a swivel, and observed my surroundings. Trees, bark, lamp posts, road, cracks, deer, but no one. I continued to walk, brushing off the feeling. I kept walking, but that's when I knew I was being followed. I heard the light pitter patter of feet behind me. I snapped my head back, and a gust of wind blew into my face. Nothing was behind me. I looked forward in the direction to my house, but was greeted with bright, red eyes. The man had blonde hair tied back, a lean body, and narrowed eyebrows. He watched me as I saw him smile at me. His pale skin made me go white as I realized that this man, whatever he was, was not human. I backed away in fear as my heart raced in my ears.