Chapter 14

I knew I had to relay this information as quickly as possible to Jacob and his family. When I got downstairs, my father was sitting at the table. His head snapped up and he told me that he was going to be home late since they were going to hunt for the wolves. My heart raced as I realized that I was running out of time. I said goodbye to him, and I ran out the door. I jumped in my truck, started it, got off of the driveway, and I took off.

     As I was driving to the reservation I could only think of Jacob. My worry for him grew each minute. My dad probably had already sent out a unit for the wolves. And I knew that Jacob was still on his way back to the rez. He had just left my house and was nearing home. I still had a few more miles to go, but because I was unprotected, I was in danger.

     In the distance, Victoria could be seen standing in the middle of the road. Realization had hit and my eyes widened. My heart raced as I grew closer to her, but I refused to stop my truck. My wheels kept turning, and my pistons were pumping with power. I grew closer, and she put her hand out. She was going to stop my truck one way or another. I was a few feet in front of her when I swerved my truck out of the way, but my tires slipped on the wet road. My truck ended up sliding past Victoria, and I landed in a ditch on the side of the road. From the accident, my airbags deployed, and my hearing went out. All I heard was a loud ringing in my ears as I coughed from the airbag's smell. I put my hand on the handle of the door, but it was already ripped open. As clean air filled my lungs, a hand gripped onto my shoulder, and pulled me out. I was thrown onto the asphalt, and pinned down. I looked to see the figure above me. Victoria had me in her clutches, and I couldn't escape. She smiled at me, and in her smile, sharp, pointed teeth grew from her gums. She was ready to feed on me like the predator she was.

     "I got you right where I want you." she smiled.

     Tears flowed down my eyes and onto my temples. Her hands pressed my wrists into the road, and rocks tore into my skin. I shut my eyes, accepting my fate, when I heard a car speeding in the distance. I opened my eyes at an ounce of hope and looked to where the noise was coming from. Victoria was distracted for the moment as a black Volvo sped up, and skidded to a stop in front of us. Edward jumped out of the driver's side and slammed the door shut leaving the car on. On the other side, Alice, Jasper, Emmett, and Rosalie hopped out along with him.

     Victoria smiled, "You really want to save this human?"

     "Get off." Edward snarled as he stepped closer.

     Victoria scoffed, and stood up. She faced Edward with broad shoulders and an attitude. Alice ran beside me and helped me to my feet. I stood up and she wrapped an arm around my shoulders as she ushered me to the Volvo. I turned my head to see Edward talking to her, but she wasn't having it. A fight broke out between them, started by Victoria. Alice pushed me inside the Volvo, and hopped in the front seat. Jasper, Rosalie, and Emmett stayed behind with Edward as they fought against her. Alice reversed the car, turned it around with a swift drift, and floored it down the road.

     "Where are we going?" I asked, in a panic.

     "Back to our home. Carlisle will help you." she said quickly.

     "But I'm fine!" I detested it.

     She pulled the rearview mirror and faced it towards me. I had blood falling down my face, and I didn't even realize it. The adrenaline forced me to go into survival mode to where blood wasn't noticeable. Once I did see it, I began to hyperventilate.

     "It's okay. You'll be fine," she panicked, "I'll be fine."

     I furrowed my brows, but I understood. The scent of my blood was distracting her. She had difficulties controlling her lust for blood, but she still held her composure and controlled her urges. Yet I grew more fearful of the Cullens. If she was having such a bad reaction to my blood, then I wasn't going to be safe near Carlisle, or his wife.