Chapter 5

The next day at school, during lunch, all my friends were sitting together at their table. I approached with my tray of food, and Eric noticed me. I placed my food and stood next to Mike who was quite invested in the conversation. Eric decided to pull me in with talk about the beach. Turns out they were all going to the beach tomorrow to surf, but I don't understand why they'd want to surf in this weather. I guessed they were used to it. 

      "Hey! La Push, baby. You in?" he asked, folding his hands.

      "Should I know what that means?" I chuckled as I ate a carrot.

     Then, Mike explained, "La Push Beach down at the Quileute Rez. We're all going tomorrow,"

     "Yeah, there's a big swell coming in," Jessica continued.

     "And I don't just surf the internet," Eric said as he shot up from his seat and imitated surfing.

     "Eric, you stood up once, and it was a foam board," Jessica spat as she ate.

     "But there's whale watching, too. Come with us," Angela finished looking up at me.

     "La Push, baby," Eric repeated, "It's La Push."

     "I'll go if you stop saying that, okay?" I smirked.

     I went off to get more lunch, only to notice Edward watching me from across the cafeteria. I ignored it as usual, but what the hell was his problem? The next day my friends and I went to La Push Beach. It was pretty cold out, and a little rainy, but they didn't care. We had brought candy like twizzlers and skittles to snack on while they were out surfing. Mike, Eric, and Jessica were putting on their wetsuits while Angela and I sat in the van that almost killed me. I was surprised that the guy who drove the van still drove it. Wasn't his license taken away? I sat huddled up with a blanket and pulled the hood of my hoodie over my head. I grabbed a twizzler before Eric started doubting today's surfing. I looked up at him, and he was pretty iffy on it. He talked about surfing the whole time and now he's getting scared. He's all talk like a dog. They'll bark and howl at you, but never attack. 

     "I don't know if it's worth it anymore," he said, zipping up his suit.

      Apparently he got cold feet and was nervous about surfing out on the water.

     "We drove all the way out here. I'm at least paddling out," Jessica stated, "You guys are babies,"

     Angela then started talking to me about prom as we watched Eric, Mike, and Jessica. I turned to her to answer her question.

      "So, I keep thinking that Eric's gonna ask me to the prom, and he just... doesn't," she said, wrapping herself in a blanket.

      "You should ask him," I started, "You're a strong, independent woman,"

     "I am?"

     "Yes," I smiled.

     I could tell she was grateful for my support. Just then, Jessica came up to us and asked for Angela to zip her up. She did, and three guys came up to us. Jacob, and two of his other friends walked up to us, and Jacob's eyes went to mine immediately.

     "Y/N!" he said with a smile.

     "Hey, Jacob," I smiled, "Guys, this is Jacob,"

     I introduced him and he said his hellos to everyone. Jessica couldn't keep her eyes off of him, and I'll admit, it upset me a little. But then, he came over and sat right next to me in the van. I could feel heat radiating off of him since he was so close. Our shoulders grazed each other, and his body heat was enough to relieve my shivering. Why is he so warm? I didn't understand at the time.

     "Stalking me, huh?" I asked, looking at him.

     He scoffed, "You're on my rez, remember?"

     He giggled after his little comment, and made eye contact with me yet again.

     "Are you surfing?" he asked.

     "Definitely not," I huffed.

     I pulled out a twizzler and handed it to Jacob. He smiled and said thanks before taking it.

     "Wanna go for a walk?" he asked, slightly nervous.

     "Yeah," I smiled.

     He then got up and offered me his arm. I got up and looped my arm through his. As soon as my arm made contact with his, my eyes widened. I brushed it off as best I could, and we both shoved our hands in our pockets because of the cold. We then continued on our walk along the gloomy beach. The breeze wasn't so nice since it was already cold, but we ignored it the best we could. I was happy with Jacob. My arm linked around his felt right in a way. I was glad to have gotten closer to him.

     "So, how've you been?" he asked me.

     "Oh, I've been good. The accident shook me up a little, but I'm okay now. I just can't get my mind off of Edward. Something's off with him,"

      He sighed, "Yeah the Cullens are pretty strange. Besides, they can't even come to the beach,"

     I furrowed my brows in confusion, "What do you mean?"

     "I'm not really supposed to say anything about it," he said, looking down at his feet.

     "I can keep a secret," I said, lightly pushing him.

     "Uh," he laughed, "Really, it's just like an old, scary story,"

     "Tell me," I giggled, "I like scary stories,"

     He paused, gathering his thoughts together before speaking, "Okay, did you know Quileutes are supposedly descended from wolves?"

     "Wait, what?" I grew interested, "Like actual wolves?"

     "Yeah," he stated, "That's the legend of our tribe,"

     "Okay... so what's the story about the Cullens?" I asked.

     "Well, they're supposedly descended from this, like, enemy clan. My great grandfather, the chief, found them hunting on our land. But they claimed to be something different, so we made a treaty with them. If they promised to stay off of Quileute lands, then we wouldn't expose what they really were to the palefaces,"

     I paused, taking in what he said. I tightened my grip on his arm since I began to shiver, "I thought they just moved here,"

    He paused, "Or just moved back,"

    Things grew silent between us, but that was interrupted when Angela ran away from Eric who held up a snake to her. She ran past us trying to get away from Eric, but he chased after her. Both me and Jacob focused our attention back to the conversation. I tried to get as many answers as possible since I had a gut feeling about the Cullens. He knew something and he wasn't going to tell me.

     I continued, "Well, what are they really?"

     He chuckled, "It's just a story, Y/N. Let's keep walking,"

     He ushered me forward and we continued walking with linked arms. All I could think of was what he meant. He was right, it sounds like a story and it just might be, but something else is at play, and I'm going to find out what it is.