Chapter 13

The sun set below the horizon, and Jacob and I watched movies and did homework together. He was better at it than I was, honestly. As much as we did to take our minds off of my being bitten or killed by a vampire, it was never enough. My mind would always wander to my death by the hands of Victoria. I could feel her stare even in my memories.

     The amount of fear I had only grew with each passing minute even if I was with Jacob. It wasn't that I didn't trust him to protect me or that I doubted his strength. It was the fact that Victoria could kill him at any given moment. If he were to slip up while fighting her, he would be dead. Plus, vampires are already difficult to kill since they're immortal, but only tearing them apart would do the trick.

     To be honest, I worried for him more than myself. What would I do if I lost him forever? What would I become? Would I even allow myself to be a vampire? No, I couldn't be one of them. I don't want to be doomed to an eternity without Jacob. He wouldn't even ask or want that of me. He means the world to me, and I hate to even be apart from him for a long period of time.

     My thoughts were interrupted when he placed a hand on my leg as we layed in my bed together with a movie on my laptop. It wasn't sexual, just comforting.

     "What are you thinking about?" he asked, looking towards me.

     I glanced at him for a moment, and looked away, "Victoria."

     He sighed, "You're worried, huh?"

     "Yeah," I replied, "I'm more scared than worried."

     He rubbed his thumb on my thigh comfortingly, "You know I'll always keep you safe."

     I sighed, "I know, but...."

     He raised his brows waiting for me to continue. My eyes darted back and forth before landing on his.

     "I'm scared for you."

     A small smirk grew on his face. He liked knowing I cared so much. Who doesn't?

     "I can handle myself and you. I'll be okay." he assured.

     I sighed looking back at the movie. He then raised the hand that was on my thigh, and placed it around my shoulders. He pulled me in warmly, and rested his cheek on my forehead.

     "I know it's scary. I'm scared, too." he said.

     I furrowed my brows, "But you seem so calm about it."

     "It's better to be calm than to panic," he replied, "but I am scared."

     I looked down comfortable with the fact that I wasn't the only one terrified out of my mind.

     "Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." he assured, closing his eyes.

     His reassurance calmed me down, and I was in a better state of mind. I wrapped my arm around his torso, and rested my head on his chest. He kissed the top of my head gently, and soothed my back. We continued watching the movie until he had to go outside and watch the house. The time came quickly, and I was disappointed he couldn't stay. He got up from the bed, and took the shirt he had on off. He tossed it on the bed, and walked over to my bay window. I got up from my bed, and followed him until we were both looking outside in the night.

     "Be careful, okay?" I said, looking at him.

     "I will. Promise." he smiled.

     I opened the window for him, and he was halfway out when he turned back to me.

     "I love you." he said with the sweetest eyes I've ever seen.

     My heart skipped a beat, "I love you, too."

     He reached out with his hand, and took mine. He pulled me closer gently, and leaned in. He kissed me lovingly, and parted reluctantly. He then turned around, jumped to the ground, and ran into the woods. A minute later, a figure stalked out of the treeline. A golden brown wolf stood with the trees, and his honey eyes watched me at the window. His giant stature was noticeable next to the trees and bushes as he stood guard. The same wolf that saved me before was back again. He sat down, just barely visible, and kept watch for the entire night.

     I closed my window but left a sliver of space in case he came back, and went back to bed. I shut off my laptop, and turned off my lights. I then crawled under the sheets, and my eyes closed.

     When I woke up the next morning, a strong arm was draped around me. I lifted my head from my pillow to see Jacob sleeping soundly behind me. I could feel his breath on my neck as he slept, and if I moved he would awaken. Instead I turned back around, scooted so my back was against his chest, and closed my eyes. His arm only tightened its grasp. I smiled with eyes closed as I heard him stir in his sleep. He woke up silently, and moved his hand to my stomach. He moved my shirt up, and his fingers grazed my skin. He soothed my stomach gently, and his lips kissed my neck.

     "Good morning." I said smiling.

     "Morning." he replied tiredly.

     "I see you came back."

     "How could I resist?" he said.

     I turned around to face him and he adjusted his hand to now stroke my back.

     "Weren't you supposed to be outside until I woke up?" I asked squinting.

     "Sam took over for me."

     I nodded and I pulled him into my chest. His head rested on my shoulder as I let my chin rest on his messy hair.

     Just as we were about to fall back asleep, a knock was heard on my door. It was my father.

     "Y/N? Wake up. It's your father."

     I panicked and jumped out of bed. Jacob got up and rushed to the window. He opened it, gave me one last look, and jumped out. I opened my door to find my dad standing in the doorway with a concerned look on his face.

     "Yeah?" I said, rubbing my eyes.

     "I think we found the killer," he said.

     My eyes went wide with shock. No way he knew it was vampires...right?

     "Wolves." he finished.

     That was even worse. My dad was hunting Jacob's tribe, and he was in danger. My heart raced with panic and worry for Jacob and his family at the reservation.

     "Oh. Well... that's not too bad, right?" I said, trying to sound calm.

     He sighed, "These aren't ordinary wolves, Y/N. The tracks we found were giant."

     "Giant wolves?"

     "Yeah. We compared them to regular wolf tracks, but these take the cake." he shrugged.

     "Are you going to hunt them?" I asked, fearful of my answer.

     "Gonna have to," he finished, "I just wanted to let you know."

     I nodded, "Thanks, dad."

     "Of course, N/N. I worry about you." he said before kissing my forehead and leaving me in my room.

     Well this isn't good.