Chapter 9

When I woke up, I could hear my father going down the stairs to get coffee. I soon got up from bed in a daze, but I was snapped into reality when the memories of last night came flooding into view. I sat at the edge of my bed looking at the floor as I recalled walking home, and being attacked by vampires. I still haven't believed it, but a part of me did. I saw their eyes, their pale faces, and fangs. They were real vampires, and they were hunting for humans. Then, the image of a large wolf ran into my mind. Werewolves, or something at least, saved me. They weren't vicious to humans, then. But the one that walked me home had a look on its face. Maybe I knew it? If it was a werewolf in wolf form then it had a human form. And maybe I knew who it was. I let everything from last night settle in, and I got changed. I then went downstairs to greet my father who was sitting at the kitchen table with coffee in his hand.

     "Good morning," he greeted.

     "Hey," I said as I got my breakfast ready.

     "Glad to see you made it home safe," he said.

     "Yeah, me too,"

     I wanted to tell him what happened, but he wouldn't believe me. He would think I was on drugs last night.

     "From now on, I don't want you going out at night," he said looking at me.

      "Because of the attacks?"

     "Yeah, this doesn't seem like an animal doing it. We might have a serial killer,"

     He stood up from his seat.

     "And if anything happened to you while I was out..." he trailed off.

     "I'll be okay," I said as I gave him a hug, "I won't go out at night,"

     "Thank you," he mumbled.

     "Mhm,"

    I finished eating with him and got my school bag ready. I hopped into my truck and I was off. Once I had gotten to school, I parked and saw a familiar face watching me. I paused as I closed my truck door and stared at him. It was Jacob, but he was different. He was built and muscular, his hair was cut short, and I could see a tattoo on his right arm peeking out from his t-shirt sleeve. His appearance surprised me since the last time I saw him he was skinnier and had much longer hair. But I can't lie, he was really attractive now.

     When girls arrived at school, they would stare at him as he leaned against a stair rail. I assumed he was waiting for me since I was the only person he knew here. I grabbed my bag and slung it over my shoulder. I then began to walk towards him and once I got closer, his eyes averted to mine. His eyes widened and his chest puffed out. I got closer to where we were two feet apart, and I could see something happening behind his eyes. A realization occurred I believe, and it was followed by an exhale. I could see the goosebumps on his arms forming, and there was a heat radiating off of him.

     "Jacob?" I asked.

     "I need to talk to you," he said.

     In an instant, he grabbed my hand and pulled me away from the school.

     "Uh," I felt the heat on his hand, and it almost felt like a burn, "Can we do this after school?"

     "No. It's too important to wait," he said as he pulled me along.

     "Okay, screw school then," I mumbled.

     He pulled me into a field across the school, and then deep into the woods. The trees loomed over us as if they knew what was going on. He kept pulling me deeper and deeper into the woods. He then began to slow to a stop in a clearing.