Chapter 6

"Please sit down, Miss Elizabeth."

I do as I'm told. My throat is tight like an orange is wedged in it, so I'm not able to respond anyway.

My legs shake underneath the conference table. I hope they can't tell. There are three pairs of eyes burning into me. Matthew and the dean are here, and a new guy, a representative from the council, apparently, is here.

Matthew and the dean are straight-faced, and because I've become accustomed to their look it doesn't bother me much. But this other guy, the councilman, his stare makes my blood run cold.

His skin is sickly pale, and his hair short and platinum blond. His eyes that pierce through my pretend calm exterior are a steely bluish-grey. He hasn't said anything to me yet, but, I don't know. I don't like the vibes.

"This is Councilman Kane," the dean says. "The council has decided that as the delegate overseeing the academy, he will make the final determination regarding your placement."

"Good morning, sir. It's nice to meet you."

He nods, and I see Matthew crack a slight smile on the other side of the dean. Alright, so far so good.

"Hello, Elizabeth. The rest of the council and I have gone over your assessment. It is most unusual. Tell me, is there anything you'd like to add to it for consideration?"

I begin to shake my head but stop myself.

"No sir, I filled out the questionnaire to the best of my ability."

Oh god, what if he thinks I'm illiterate now too?

"Well," the councilman says, leaning back in his chair. "We don't really have the facilities here to accommodate a strainless student."

I do not like where this is going. What is the alternative to being at the academy? So much for the 100% acceptance rate Matthew went on about.

"Perhaps a job working under the council would be a better fit," he muses.

A job? Well, that does sound like an improvement over going through high school all over again. Maybe I should mention my nearly completed English degree. Matthew's lip falls slightly. Guess I better not interrupt.

"Actually, sir, we've already admitted her into the academy. We gave her a temporary room in the basement, but it can easily become a permanent dorm," the dean begins saying, and damn it do I wish he would stop.

"This isn't a boarding house for wandering souls. We have a reputation to uphold and I can't fathom a reason to admit a student that has zero chance of ever graduating," the councilman says dismissively like I'm not sitting ten feet away from him. I don't want to be a student here or stay in that dank room for the rest of eternity, but the words hurt.

"Well, I..." the dean stutters.

"Out with it Dean."

When he doesn't respond promptly, the councilman directs his attention to Matthew.

"Dean Hadden seems to have lost his words. Matthew?"

Matthew closes his eyes. "Graduation for any of our students seems like a rare occurrence these days." The dean's gaze falls to the table as Matthew repeats the man's inner dialogue. My breath hitches in disbelief. Matthew just outted his boss like it was nothing, with not even a second of hesitation.

"And you intend to add to that failure? Without a house, who would her facilitator be?" the councilman shoots back toward the defeated dean.

Looks like I'm getting a new job.