Chapter 9

Dying in Near Elysium is – for lack of a better word – a major inconvenience. First, there's the actual dying part, which can be painful. I was fortunate that Matthew found out that I couldn't swim. On the way back to campus, he showed me the knife he had packed as an alternative method. One of the perks of having a psychic as a facilitator I guess.

Second, is the amount of time that gets wasted. It took my soul hours to reset to my arrival point, meaning I had missed lunch. Matthew, in his infinite generosity, brought me an apple for the walk back.

One perk was that my entire body had been reset too, so whatever damage I had done to my knees and ankles had healed by the time I woke up. Which was great, since the walk back was over a mile and it was nearly dinner time.

We couldn't afford to be late tonight, Matthew had told me. All of the other facilitators and their houses would be eager to see where the newest student, aka me, would be placed.

I pull a curl of my hair to the other side of my part. I guess I look okay? Who am I kidding, these kids saw me faceplant yesterday.

There are three knocks at the door before it opens. I exit the bathroom.

"You look fine, just remember to keep your head up, alright? Only the dean and I know you're strainless, let's try and keep it that way."

I nod hesitantly. "You really think it'll work, Matthew?"

He sighs. "You have to address me properly. Like I said, I'm perfectly fine being called 'Master' or 'Your Highness'."

"If you want to be master to something then get a dog, Teacher."

He cracks a smile.

"After dealing with your attitude, I'd say I already got one."

My mouth gapes at him. Insufferable ass. I follow him out of the room and to the dining hall.

Okay, gotta sell this. We're outside and there are students filling the building. Matthew makes a beeline for the entrance, bypassing the rows of students waiting patiently. I follow behind him, trying my best to make it look like I'm meant to be there.

It isn't easy. My dress sticks out like a sore thumb in the sea of white uniforms. I can feel eyes tracking me as I follow Matthew up the stairs to the faculty table. I lift my leg to slide in next to Hercules when the dean stands.

"Just a minute. We have an announcement to make, Matthew?"

Matthew nods and stands. Guess we can't leave everyone in suspense. I follow Matthew to the center of the stage. The last of the students are filling in the tables and when the last one rushes to their seat; the dean speaks.

"As you are aware, we have a new student joining us. Matthew, if you may," the dean says, going back to his seat. He probably isn't in the mood to deal with however the school is about to take this. Matthew seems much more at ease, that princely air about him causing all the students to stop talking and listen intently.

"Good evening, everyone. I'll spare you all the pleasantries and clamor that comes with a new student admission. With midterms starting in a few weeks, there isn't time for antiquated ceremonies. This is Elizabeth, our first student in a century and, as per council decision, the first I am tasked with facilitating."

And there's the darkness I know all too well. He could've made it sound like he's actually happy to have me around.

"Now, with that out of the way, please enjoy your dinner."

Matthew turns abruptly and I nearly jump out of my skin to follow him back to our table. I wedge myself between Matthew and Hercules's crate of wine. Slowly, pre-dinner chatter returns to the room.