Chapter 30

The next morning, I roll out of bed ready for class. I didn't sleep much. In fact, the prospect of sleep was so hopeless that I didn't even bother tossing and turning. Instead, I spent all night perfectly still in my bed. It was odd. While lying in the dark, I could actually feel my body reverting to its original condition. Even the tweak in my back I got from training, was slowly fading away. Grosser still was how I could feel my nails growing back.

In the bathroom mirror, I confirm that I am presentable enough to face the day. The rooster hasn't crowed yet, so after I grab my bag, I'm off to the dining hall.

Picking up the crate for Hercules was simple enough. The dining hall isn't an ominous hellscape during the day, especially when Chef Floy's sheet ghosts are moving ingredients in their adorable folds.

The trek up to the cottage is also easy. No one is out yet, and with the sun still behind the hills, I don't have to squint against the harsh sunlight. If only I was able to get up every day around this time, this chore would be much easier.

I get to his doorstep the moment that the rooster, wherever the hell it is, screeches as dawn breaks. The door swings open and there he is.

I step back, sending the bottles into a clanking frenzy.

"Well look who it is!"

"Good morning, Hercules. I, uh, got your delivery for you."

He crosses his arms and leans against the doorframe.

"I see that. And on time for once."

I cringe. "Sorry."

He grabs the crate from me and tucks it inside.

"For what? Ditching my class or leaving me high and dry every morning?"

He's really putting me on the spot today. I try and put on my best smile.

"Everything. Really, I hope you know I'm trying my best. Here now and every time I'm in your class."

Hercules's grin wavers slightly, then comes back bigger than ever.

"Oh yeah? Well, prove it. I'm going on a run now."

Damn. I pull at the hem of my dress. I'm not exactly dressed for running. But it's not like I have a choice. I can just hear Matthew nagging me in the back of my head.

"I'm game."

And that was how I ended up earning my breakfast of plain eggs and grapefruit.

"Damn Squirt, I didn't expect you to hold up so well."

He says that as if my lungs aren't still on fire.

"You..." I pause to take a breath. "Didn't think you'd kill me with a little run, did you?"

He lets out a laugh and spoons the strawberries from his fruit cup onto my plate.

"Maybe."

I gulp down my water. The extra fruit is just one of the perks of hanging out with Hercules. The other is something deeper, closer to friendship. I don't have to censor myself with him, I still do, but it doesn't seem required. When I'm in public with Matthew, it feels like I have to constantly struggle to be a perfect princess, and even then it's not enough. With Hercules, it feels like everything is on the table, so I don't hesitate to toss back my dixie cup of sugar.

"Maybe I'll give you a crack at it again tomorrow morning," my mouth goes dry as I try to summon my nerve. "But you'd have to let me live through class."

Hercules chuckles and sits back.

"I dunno, I don't like to show favoritism."

What the heck does he call giving me assignments specifically tailored to make me fail? Hypocrisy aside, I have to say something. Tiffany said I was charming, if it's true, I need to summon every ounce of that right now.