Chapter 16

I was absentmindedly walking to the dorm, my library books in hand when someone called my name. I turned to see Evie and Mal walking in my direction hurriedly.

"There you are!"

"Ben asked me out" Mal looked around as if to make sure no one was watching her "on a date!" she whispered harshly.

"Sooo?" I drawled cluelessly.

"She wants our help because she's panicking and we're the only ones with any style" Evie gestured between her and I.

"Okay, I'll help you out" I stated, nodding at Evie's statement.

💕💠💕💠💕

After dropping my books and Emerald in my dorm I headed to Evie and Mal's dorm to help the latter get ready for her date with Ben. I was in charge of her outfit while Evie was in charge of makeup.

We were sitting on the bed next to Mal while Evie applied blush to her cheeks

"Okay. Easy on the blush" Mal laughed nervously, pulling away from Evie "I don't want to scare him away"

"Not that you could" I teased and she gave a small smile.

"Please" Evie scoffed arrogantly "My mom taught me how to apply blush before I could talk. Always use upward strokes" She continued softly as she added a bit more blush.

"My mom was never really big on makeup tips. I never had a sister" Mal stated as Evie started applying lip gloss to the girl's lips.

"Well, now you have two" I remembered my relationship with Dizzy and while she isn't biologically my sister it didn't matter to me,

"After all, we're going to need all the family we can get, if we don't pull this off. My mother's not a barrel of laughs when she doesn't get her way. Just ask Snow White" There was a small edge to her voice and guilt flooded through me. I was plotting against them not thinking of what their parents might do if we don't get our hands on the wand. The consequence of what Maleficent might do to my family were we to fail.

"Are you afraid of her?" Mal asked tentatively.

"Sometimes" Evie sighed "Are you afraid of your mom?"

"I just really want her to be proud of me. She gets so angry with me when I disappoint her. And she... yeah, she's my mom, so I know she loves me... In her own way" Mal said and the sadness in her voice was clear as day. She cleared her throat and glanced at me "What about you Harlee? Are you scared of your dad?" I knew who she was referring to but I still tried to deflect it

"I've never met my father so who knows" Her eyes narrowed at me.

"You know who I meant" I sighed.

"He... he doesn't care for the wand or power. Not anymore. He just wants me to be safe" I've always felt guilty yet lucky of who I had as a father and the distant looks in both of the girls' eyes made me feel terrible.

"Moving on" Evie smiled, ending the subject. She walked towards the standing mirror with an intricate gold frame and stood in front of it "Come see" Beckoning Mal closer.

"Are we done?" Mal asked in surprise, standing from the bed and walking towards the mirror. I followed after her and stood on her right side

"Oh" She whispered in shock.

"We know" Evie and I said smugly, high fiving behind Mal's back.

"I look" Mal paused insecurely.

"Say it" Evie softly encouraged

"Not hideous" She settled on saying.

"Beautiful, you look absolutely breathtaking" I said to her and she looked down with a small blush and I noticed how her lips quirked up slightly. There was a knock on the door and we turned towards it, Evie and I sharing an excited look. Mal opened the door, sending an annoyed look in our direction. Ben looked completely lovestruck and I felt guilty yet again, we were playing with his emotions for power. Not much different than what Hans did with the princess now  Queen Anna.

"For the first time, I understand the difference between pretty and beautiful" Ben's words brought me back, Evie visibly withheld a squeal. Mal stayed silent and Ben took a helmet from behind his back "I hope you like bikes" Mal smiled almost sarcastically and left with Ben. Me and Evie shared a smile as the door closed and high five'd.