Secret Santa

A/N- A Christmas speical, ash and gladion aren't dating. This is very long, my longest yet. I hope you guys enjoy cause this took forever.

Gladion honestly didn’t know what he expected when his sister had called him at one in the morning, frantically asking him to go to the Pokémon School the next day for ‘something very important.’ His first thought had been that there was an Ultra Beast emergency, but Lillie had assured him that it was not anything life-threatening. 

So here he was, standing awkwardly at the Pokémon School entrance in the middle of broad daylight. Gladion was a little confused, to be honest. He was pretty sure it was winter break for them and despite Alola having no snow (unless you counted Mount. Lanakila), the region always made a point to be festive. The lack of people around further confirmed his suspicions. 

Umbreon stood beside him, pawing at the little rocks on the ground. The Eeveelution wasn’t a fan of staying in the sun; nevertheless, she stuck by her trainer loyally. Even if it was, like, thirty degrees out. 

“Gladion! There you are!”

The boy clad in black looked up at the familiar voice, seeing his sister run up to him. She was dressed in her usual clothes, though her hat wasn’t with her. Gladion stood up straighter as she approached him. 

“I’ve been standing here all along,” he said, looking around. “Uh, isn’t it winter break for you? Why’re you in school?”

Lillie giggled, twirling around. She was obviously very excited about something, though Gladion couldn’t figure out what.

“Ah, ever so observant, my brother,” she teased, laughing harder when Gladion rolled his eyes. 

“Cheeky, you. Why’d you call me here, if it’s not anything important?”

Lillie huffed, sharpening her gaze so suddenly that Gladion had to do a double-take.

“Firstly, I’m here to scold you. You just disappeared after the whole incident with Poipole and Necrozma! You didn’t even say goodbye!”

“I... didn’t think it was necessary,” Gladion replied slowly. “Besides, I followed you guys to save Alola. The job was done, I didn’t have anything else to do with all of you.”

The girl sighed, shaking her head. “Oh, brother. You know they all consider you a friend, right? Not just some colleague that appears once in a blue moon to join them on a life-or-death mission.”

“Friend? Yeah, right,” Gladion scoffed, ignoring the warm feeling that was starting to rise from his chest. He didn’t have friends. Well, other than Ash, but he was more of a rival in his eyes. 

“Whatever, that wasn’t what I called you here for. See, Professor Kukui and Principal Oak” —she started walking into the school, gesturing for Gladion to follow— “allowed us to use the classroom for a little gathering. You do know what day it is, right?”

“Uh...”

“Oh, doesn’t matter. It’s the eighteenth of December.” She looked at him expectantly, making Gladion frown. 

“Okay, and..?”

Lillie exhaled slowly, almost like she was telling herself to be patient. Gladion didn’t know if he should be offended by that. It was embarrassing, really, but there were times where his younger sister seemed to be older and more mature than him.