Chapter 1

Please read the description before reading for details about the story. Also please comment, as comments inspire me to keep writing, and I'd love feedback, comments or thoughts you have about the story! Remember this book is Wednesday's POV, I have another about Autumn's. Hope you like it!

Also if anyone wants to do cover art, or make a playlist for the story, DM me! :D

---

Nevermore Academy was the one school I had hoped to never be acquainted with. Unfortunately my parents had other plans and had been waiting for the perfect opportunity to send me there. That opportunity became present when I was expelled from my - school, leading me to today. I stare straight ahead, blankly, trying my best to block out the nausea-inducing sounds of my parents lip locking. My mother pulls away from the kiss, and looks at me with an expression of bitter disappointment.

"Darling, how long do you intend on giving us the cold shoulder?" Her velvety voice rings out above the faint music in the background. I turn around to address Lurch.

"Lurch, please remind my parents that I am no longer speaking to them."

Lurch merely grunts and my father leans forward.

"I promise you, my little viper, you will love Nevermore. Won't she, Tish?"

He faces my mother, encouraging her to continue to assure me that sending me to Nevermore is perfect, and not a part of their narcissistic plan to turn me into versions of themselves.

"Of course, it's the perfect school for her."

"Why? Because it was the perfect school for you?" My voice is sharp, my hands clasped together in my lap as I address my mother for the first time since stepping foot in the car.

"I have no interest in following in your footsteps. Becoming captain of the fencing team, Queen of the dark prom, President of the Sèance Society." I continue, not being able to hide the bitter resentment in my usually composed voice.

"I merely meant that finally you will be among peers who understand you. Maybe you'll even make some friends." My mother smiles at the last part.

"Nevermore is like no other boarding school. It's a magical place." A mix of affection and longing bleeds through my fathers voice, as he turns towards my mother once more. "It's where I met your mother."

My mother turns her head with interest, meeting my fathers eyes.

"And we fell in love." My father whispers, my mother tilting her head and leaning in, their lips inches apart.

"You guys are making me nauseous." My parents break apart as I speak. "And not in a good way."

Sharp silence engulfs the rest of the ride, until the looming Nevermore gate comes into view. The very gate that holds my future hostage, at least for the first week. I stare out the window, watching the dark storm clouds paint the sky a sickening gray, flashes of lightning providing bursts of light over the school grounds.

The meeting with principal Weems passes in a blur, and the next thing I know I am standing in a dorm room in Ophelia Hall, with my new roommate running towards me. I stare with apprehension, wary.

"Howdy roomie!" The blonde girl squeals.

"Wednesday, this is Enid Sinclair." Weems introduces the girl.

"Welcome to Ophelia Hall!" To my utmost horror Enid reaches in to give me a hug. I step away quickly, already dreading the amount of time I would have to spend with her in this confined room. She seems to be the type of girl I hate most, my polar opposite.