Chapter 9

"Nevermore was created as a safe haven for our children to learn and grow, no matter who or what they are." Weems' voice echoes around the quad, as everyone claps. "I realise most of you have heard about the unfortunate incident involving one of our students. But I am happy to report that Eugene is on the mend and is expected to make a full recovery. So let's focus on the positive and make this Parents Weekend our very best yet."

"On the mend?" I scoff, standing between Enid and Autumn. "Try in a coma."

"Have you been to see him? You're his friend." Enid directs at me.

"I'm the reason he's in the hospital." I blankly. Autumn lets out a sigh beside me.

(Options for what Autumn is wearing:)

"We've been over this, Wednesday. It's not your fault, okay?" She slips her hand into mine, her voice soft, wrapping around me like a soft blanket.

"I got him into that situation. And you ended up in hospital too."

"I was in there for like an hour, and they were only making sure I was okay. Which I was." Autumn grumbles. She didn't like being vulnerable, or in hospital.

"Well, the monster hasn't attacked anyone in the past week. Maybe you finally scared it off." Enid adds, changing the direction of the conversation.

"Or maybe it went into hiding to avoid this weekend." I mumble, examining the crowd of parents in the quad. I hear my mothers voice from afar, and I'm temporarily distracted. "I knew I should have worn my plague mask."

"Would you look at my family. Talk about toxic pack mentality. I give my mum 30 seconds before her judge-y claws come out." Enid's voice deflates as we look over to her family.

"I'm so glad my parents are overseas at the moment." Autumn smiles.

"Lucky." Enid sighs in envy, before turning serious again. "Let's get this over with."

Enid turns and walks in the direction of her parents, and Autumn moves to let go of my hand, but I hold her hand tighter, pulling her closer to me. She looks up at me in surprise.

"Please don't leave me alone with them, it will just be awkward, time-consuming and boring. I'd rather prick needles in my eyes. Besides, they love meeting new people." The words flow out of my mouth before I have the chance to think them through.

Autumn laughs. "Well I can't leave you and your poor eyes to the needles." She complies, following my lead to my parents, hand in hand.

"There she is. Oh how we missed those accusing eyes and youthful sneer." My father opens his arms and pulls me into an unwanted hug. "And who might this young lady be?" He turns to Autumn, taking her hand and shaking it.

"Autumn. Pleased to meet you. I'm Wednesday's friend." She smiles easily, confident and amused. Friend. I repeat the word in my head, dissatisfied by the word. It felt different than friendship. More understanding, bonded on a deeper level. I guess it would have to do, for now at least.