Chapter 16

(The following night)

I step out of the shadows from the hallway I was hiding in, and step out on to the grass, illuminated by the eery glow of the moon. Tyler had just arrived at the meeting spot I told him, so I walk up behind him. Hearing my footsteps, her turns, appraising me as he spots me. 

"Thing gave me your note. I was surprised you wanted to see me again after you ran out the other night." He pauses. "So, uh, is this a date?" 

I ignore the hopefully note in his voice. "It's a surprise." 

He moves forward to try and hug me, but I step around him, facing away from him as I speak. 

"Xavier warned me about you but I didn't listen."

I slowly turn, facing him. 

"Ironic now, huh." He murmurs. 

"Ironic would've been framing Xavier for murder while the real Hyde helped me put him away." 

"Wait... You don't think?-" He stammers. 

"I don't think. I know." I step forward, my tone rising in anger. "Kinbott probably discovered your secret during one of her sessions, so she unlocked you. Why'd you kill her? I thought Hydes were typically loyal to their masters."

"Wednesday, seriously, this is nuts." He steps forward. 

"On Outreach Day, I told you I was visiting the old meeting house. Did Kinbott send you to spy on me? The night of the Rave'N, you overheard Eugene and me discussing your cave in the woods and you warned Kinbott. Eugene probably saw her torching it. Then she sent you to clean up her mess. I have to hand it to you, Tyler. Wounding yourself that night at the Gates' mansion, that was a masterstroke of misdirection."

Tyler shakes his head. "Okay, stop. Do you know how insane you sound right now? I'm not a monster. And... and if you really thought I was, why would you risk bringing me out to the woods to confront me alone?"

"Who said I was alone." I say through tight lips, and at my words Autumn, Bianca, Ajax, Yoko, and two other sirens step out of the shelter behind us, and out into the forest. They form a circle around him, Autumn by my side. 

"Okay, I don't know what kind of sick joke you're playing, Wednesday, but I'm out of here."  He moves to the side to walk away, but Bianca steps in front of him. 

"Actually ... you're coming with us." She uses her siren powers to control Tyler, and we bring him to Xavier's art studio. I use some chains I brought with me to bind his arms and legs together to a chair. 

Once I'm done, I step back, and Bianca clicks her fingers, making Tyler come to. He slowly lifts his head, and we watch as he examines the numerous paintings of Hyde's that Xavier made, surrounding the studio. 

"Welcome back." Autumn says from my side, as his eyes find us. 

"Where the hell am I?" He asks, his voice still slightly slurred. 

"Somewhere where no one can hear your screams." I answer. 

"What's with the chains?" He tries to break away from his restrains, to no avail. 

"Don't ask stupid questions." I snap. 

"Wednesday, this is crazy. I'm a normie." 

"That's only half true." I pick up a picture from the year my mother was in school, and push it in front of his face. "Do you recognise her?" 

I point to his mother in the photo. "Perhaps if I hadn't been so distracted by my own mother hogging this photo, I would have noticed yours sooner."