Chapter 17

(The next day)

I place my typewriter in it's case, as Enid helps me pack my room. 

"I can't believe I'm actually going to miss your creepy, lifeless eyes waking me up every morning. It won't be the same without you." Enid sniffs, holding one of my taxidermy squirrels.

"So I assume you'll be moving in with Yoko. Leaving me in the past." I continue packing my belongings. 

"Not ever. What about you? Will you forget about me?" She stands opposite me, overcome with emotion. 

"Enid ... the mark you have left on me is indelible. Any time I grow nauseas at the sight of a rainbow or hear a pop song that makes my ears bleed, I'll think of you." 

Enid nods. "Thanks. I guess."

"I always believed relying on other people to be a sign of weakness. That inevitably they would lead me to disappointment. Turns out I've been the disappointment." I place my favourite books into my suitcase as I speak. 

"Are you kidding me?" Enid steps forward. "I've learned so much from you. Part of it is admittedly criminal behaviour, but ... most people spend their entire lives pretending to give zero effs, and you've literally never had an eff to give. Any chance you've got some sort of sneaky plan to elude Weems?" She asks hopefully.

"Xavier's right." I hold up the picture from Rowan. "This prophecy cannot come true if I'm not here. But it kills me to leave when Tyler's still walking around free." 

"If he tries anything, we have a school full of gorgons, vampires, werewolves, and other outcasts ready and waiting. We've got this, Wednesday. I promise." 

"On a good note, I got a text from Eugene's mums. They said he woke up this morning, somehow. Maybe Weems'll let you drop by on your way to the station."

I nod, swallowing hard. That must have been Autumn. It had to be ... how could he have woken up this soon naturally? Thing clicks his fingers. 

"I think we're all set."

"Thing, I'm going to miss our makeup tutorials. And you better keep sending me moisturising tips. Stay in touch, okay." Enid fist pumps thing. 

"So we're gonna..." Enid walks towards me, arms out and eyes watering. I step backwards. "You're right. Not hugging is kind of our thing." 

I walk down the stairs, to be met by Bianca. 

"The plan wasn't to get you expelled. We're sorry." Bianca apologises, some of the other members standing behind her. 

"The Nightshades need to be ready for what's coming. Or a lot of people are going to die." I answer. Footsteps distract me, and I turn to see Thornhill running towards me. 

"I'm so glad I caught you. This is a parting gift." She hands me some flowers. 

"White Oleander, one of nature's deadliest." I say, recognising the flower. 

"It also symbolises destiny and renewal." Thornhill nods, smiling. "You're a very talented young woman, Wednesday. I can't wait to see what you do next." 

I nod, and turn, almost bumping in to a familiar brunette. 

"Sorry." Autumn avoids my eyes, speaking under her breath. 

"Autumn." I demand, tilting her chin to make her look at me. 

"Yes?" 

"I'm sorry. I should have told you about both times Tyler tried to kiss me. I'm sorry for hurting you. But thank you for everything we had. You made my time at Nevermore more bearable." I say, my voice monotone.