Chapter 6

My mask is pulled off, and I open my eyes to 8 hooded figures. I immediately check to find Autumn, and feel immediately relieved when I see her safe and by my side, her hair slightly ruffled by the sacks that were over our heads.

"Who dares breach our inner sanctum?" A distorted voice sounds. I roll my eyes. 

"You can take the mask off Bianca." 

She let out a sound of frustration before taking her mask and hood off, followed by everyone else in the room. 

"Wait, I preferred you with it on." Bianca scoffs at my comment. 

"How did you get down here?" Xavier asks. 

"Rowan showed us." Autumn glares pointedly at Xavier. 

"Left pocket." I add. Autumn stiffens beside me, tensing at the fact that Xavier brushed against my arm as he grabbed the paper. (Author note: Jealous, jealous, jealous girlllllllll)

"We tracked the watermark on the page down to the Poe statue and then we solved the riddle." I explain. 

"Wait, there's a riddle? I thought we just snapped twice." The dim-witted Siren from earlier speaks. 

"Well aren't you the brightest in the bunch." Autumn remarks sarcastically, casting daggers at everyone in the room. 

- they all talk blah blah blah can't be fucked writing the scene - 

"Question is, what are we going to do with them? Only members are allowed in this library." Bianca states in distaste. 

"I say we invite Wednesday to pledge." Xavier speaks up, very pointedly ignoring Autumn's presence. "She has a legacy." 

"After the crap she pulled at the Poe Cup there's no way in hell. We talk about not making waves, she's a tsunami." Bianca immediately retorts. 

"Just because I beat you at your own game? Let me save you the trouble. I'm not interested in joining." 

"Thanks for the invite, neither am I." Autumn drawls sarcastically. 

"You're seriously turning us down?" One of them asks. 

"Can you believe it?" I ask sarcastically. 

"Untie them." Bianca demands. 

"We freed ourselves five minutes ago." Autumn stands up and we both drop the ropes in front of us. 

I snatch the paper out of Xavier's hands, and slip my hand into Autumn's before starting towards the exit. The dim-witted siren from earlier blocks the exit. 

"Do you want a matching black eye." Autumn raises a brow at him. 

He steps to the side and we both start up the stairs. 

I pause halfway up the stairs. 

"It's amateurs like you who give kidnapping a bad name." I stare in disappointment. 

"Try again next time." Autumn shrugs and blows a kiss at Bianca and Xavier, before continuing up the stairs with me. 

- time skip through outreach day, to the scene where Wednesday explores the meeting house in the forest -

Since Autumn and I got split apart with our roles for outreach day, we decided to meet by the edge of the woods at a specific time. 

We walk through the forest, hand in hand as usual until we approach the seemingly abandoned house.

As we step in, I place my bag down to let Thing out and look around with mild interest. 

"Well this is certainly... climactic." Autumn looks around with a blank face.