Chapter 15

This chapter is dedicated to @AegoliusNyx and @Buffterfly_Poems. Thank you guys for all the support and comments, you guys have made me want to keep continually putting out new chapters and keep inspiring me!

"I'm guessing this is not some kind of random prank." Weems paces in front of Autumn and I. 

"Whoever ransacked my room also stole Nathanial Faulkner's diary." I add. 

"That's supposed to be safely locked in the Nightshade's library." Weems turns to face me. Autumn snorts. 

"So you do know about that diary, which means you also know that the monster we're after is called a Hyde." I accuse.

"Thank you, Ms Thornhill. I'll take it from here." Weems smiles at her dismissively. 

After she leaves, Weems walks up to the fireplace, staring into it. 

"Faulkner spent years studying Hydes. He wanted to determine if they were just mindless killers or conscious of their actions." 

"What was his conclusion?" Autumn asks, her arms crossed. 

"He was killed by a Hyde before he could reach one. Other tried to carry on his research, but the Hyde's were too unpredictable and violent. They were officially banned from Nevermore 30 years ago." 

"All of this time, you've known the monster was a Hyde. Why didn't you tell the Sheriff?" I ask, pulling Autumn closer to me. 

"Because then Nevermore is done. Over. Shut for good. And that's not happening on my watch. But I'm not the only one withholding. If you suspect someone, you need to tell me." 

"Why? All you've ever done is gaslight and obstruct us. You don't care how many people die as long as your reputation is safe. And then you run to me when people get hurt, expecting me to help them." Autumn raises her voice. 

"I am protecting Nevermore, which includes both of you. Do not raise your voice at me, Miss Brown." Weems says in a dangerously low voice.

Autumn links her hand with mine and pulls me out, stomping down the corridor. 

"She's been letting people get hurt all along." Autumn's voice is pure anger, and she's breathing heavily in frustration.

"I know. But we'll do something about it. Just let me think of what to do, and I promise we'll fix everything. You won't get hurt." I assure her. 

"What if you get hurt, Wednesday?" She turns to me, her eyes glassy. I'm taken aback by her words. 

She walks closer to me as she speaks, her voice growing louder. "You're so fixated on solving this case, have you ever even thought about how I would feel if something happened to you? You are obsessing over it and I care about you so fucking much, Wednesday, I can't have you getting hurt!" 

She's obviously emotional, so I let her get it out. 

"Wednesday, I can't live without you, and I'm scared." Her voice breaks as her emotions come through, tears escaping her pretty green eyes and rolling down her perfect face, creating tear tracks in their path. 

"It's okay to feel that way. But I'm here, with you, and nothing is going to happen to me. We can figure this out together. I promise you, my love, everything will be okay." I stroke her face tenderly, wiping her tears away, as she looks up at me, leaning against me. Her emotions had been building the past few days, and she wasn't sleeping enough, so I knew she would have an outburst at some point. I was just glad I was there to ride it through with her. 

"I love you, Wens." She sobs, shaking in my arms. I hold her tight, making our hearts as close as they can possibly be together. 

"I love you too, cara mia. You entered my life unexpectedly, but I wouldn't change it for a thing. My life feels right when I'm with you. I just wish I had realised that sooner. I'm sorry that we have to deal with all of this at the moment, but it will be over soon." I whisper in her ear as her cries slow down.