Chapter 11

(The next day)

I'm in the middle of holding a séance to try and contact Goody Addams when the door flies open, immediately extinguishing the candles I had lit around me. I turn around, irritated when I hear a familiar shrill voice. 

"Sorry." Enid says with her hands outstretched. "I didn't mean to interrupt your... uh, do I even want to know?" 

"I was reaching into the black maw of death to contact a relative." I explain, standing and moving to stand beside Enid. 

"Feels very on-brand for you. You have a relative named Goody?" She asks, looking at Goody's name spelt out on the ground near the candles. 

"She was one of the original outcasts. Been attempting to summon her, but she seems to be ignoring my entreaties." I grumble. 

Enid pauses in thought. 

"Oh, you thought about using one of my scented candles? The aroma of steak tartare is to die for." She exclaims. Before I can respond, a piece of paper flutters through the slit under our door. 

"Maybe Goody answered you after all." Enid shrugs, as I walk over and pick up the paper. 

"I doubt she communicates in magazine cutouts." I say sourly, after inspecting it for a moment. 

It reads: If you want answers, meet inside Crackstone's Crypt. Midnight. 

- later that night - 

After waiting all day for the clock to finally strike 12, Enid and Autumn (whom insisted on coming along after I told her about the letter) flank me on either side as we walk up to the entrance to Crackstone's Crypt. 

(Options for what Autumn is wearing:)

As I step up to the door, Enid flinches, her claws coming out as she hears some branches break nearby

"You insisted on coming along. I was fine on my own." I remind her. She swallows hard, before hurrying over to Autumn and I. I hear Autumn mumble a soft 'it's okay' to comfort Enid, before gently patting her back. 

"Seems like our wannabe Deep Throat is already here." I mutter, shining my torch on the opened chains that hang from the door handles. 

"Ew. What died?" Enid asks, with a disgusted sniff. 

"Smells like childhood." I comment, causing Autumn to let out a soft laugh beside me. 

"Come on let's go in already." Autumn slips her hand in mine, and pushes the door open. 

"Second thoughts. Why don't I just stay out here?" She squeaks from outside as the door slams shut behind us. 

Autumn and I walk down the short, dimly lit passage cautiously, and I feel myself tensing in anticipation, the hairs on the back of my neck standing up, alert. I was reluctant to allow Autumn to come with me tonight - I didn't want her getting hurt again. But she promised that we would stick together, and I trusted her.