Chapter 13

Autumn stands, tucked into my side under the umbrella I was holding up, as we watched Mayor Walker's funeral take place. He had died last night, in the hospital. I enjoyed funerals. But I knew that there was a killer present at this one, and I would not stop until I found them. 

As everyone is leaving, I spot a shadow near a tree on the outskirts of the forest in the corner of my eye. The shadow darts out of sight quickly, and begins running. 

"Autumn, come on." I grab her hand and pull her with me, running in the general direction of where the shadow figure went. 

"Wednesday what happened?" She huffs out of breath beside me, as we pull into the clearing where I saw the figure duck behind a tree into. 

"I saw someone." I turn around the clearing, inspecting every angle, when suddenly, someone drops down behind me. I pull out the stick of my umbrella, spinning and thrusting it at the figure. The figure places their hands on it, sending an wave of lightening down the rod, and I drop it quickly, pushing Autumn behind me.

"Still as sharp as ever, my pig-tailed protégé." 

I relax, smiling when I hear the voice. "Uncle Fester." 

My uncle pulls his hat off, revealing his face with a grin. 

"Who might this young lady be?" He asks, turning to Autumn, who was still standing behind me. 

"Autumn. My girlfriend. Autumn, this is Uncle Fester. " I step back, allowing Autumn to move forward and shake my uncle's hand. Her cheeks are flushed at my words. 

"Nice to meet you." She greets him. 

"Nice to meet you too, Autumn. I never thought I'd see the day where Wednesday would settle down with someone, so you must be really special." I scowl at my uncle's words, embarrassed. Autumn let's out a shy laugh, and steps back by my side. 

"So how long have you been stalking me?" I ask, as we begin walking through the forest. 

"Just blew into town this morning and was hit by a wave of nostalgia." My uncle answers. 

"I thought you didn't go to Nevermore?" I ask, confused. 

"I didn't. Your dad got all the brains. But I used to drop in on him. Usually from the ceiling with a dagger clutched between my teeth just to keep him on his toes." He laughs. 

I smile at his words. "Of course." 

"He filled me in on what's been going on. Monsters, murder, mayhem. What fun! I told him I had a job in Boston but I'd be checking up on you." 

"What kind of job?" I ask, raising a brow. 

"The kind that means I need somewhere to lay low for a couple of days." He grins. 

- time skip -

After getting Uncle Fester settled into Eugene's bee house, and finding out the the monster we we're dealing with was called a Hyde, I made plans to meet him and Autumn at the Nightshade library, where we were going to find Nathanial Faulkner's diary to research Hyde's. Until then, I was waiting in my dorm, and writing my novel, when the door opened, interrupting me. 

I stand as Enid steps into the room. 

"Hi." She pauses awkwardly as she sees me. "Sorry, I figured you were still at Mayor Walker's wake."

"As soon as the dirt hits the coffin, I'm out." 

I can't seem to find my bottle of silver moon nail polish. Do you mind if I look around?" She asks, walking to her side of the room. "Yoko's hosting a mani-pedi party for her crew."