VII

Narrator

Grieving during the holiday season was probably the hardest thing Y/n and Haerin had to do. Pretending to be okay when everything around them was ready to fall apart... was a bit too much.... but the pair was too strong to show any emotions.... at least outside the house.

"My condolences," An old neighbor of Granny told the young kids.

"Thank you," Y/n politely replied.

It was the first the first weekend of December and instead of being happy for the holidays, Haerin and Y/n were at grandma's funeral.

- Haerin POV -

It was hard to hold in my tears when I could see Y/n trying to hold in theirs.

"Just a few more hours, do you want to go home and rest?" Y/n cupped my face to caress my cheeks.

I knew Y/n could tell I was tired. 3 days of grieving and hosting strangers we didn't invite to Granny's funeral was more tiring than I could imagine. I had heavy eye bags under my eyes.

"I'm okay. I'll just wait for you," I gave Y/n a small smile.

Y/n sighed, knowing I wouldn't go home without them, and nodded in agreement.

"I'm so sorry about your grandmother. She was really as humbled as they come," Granny's old employer suddenly approached us.

"Thank you. Grandma really was a sweet soul," Y/n politely answered.

Before I knew it, Y/n was back to tending to the guests.

- Y/N POV -

It was hard to be nice to people I didn't know.

Grandma had been secluded from most people for a reason, but I couldn't be disrespectful to the people who randomly showed up to pay their respects.

Everyone had finally left and I was ready to drop to my knees, but suddenly I heard a soft.... "Hey".

I held myself up a bit longer to greet the person and found myself looking at an old university friend.

"I'm sorry about your Grandma," Minji said her condolences.

"Thank you," I lowly replied.

I was surprised to find Minji in front of me.

Minji and I were just starting to get close at school, but obviously life gets in the way of things at times.

"I'm sorry for showing up uninvited. I just wanted to come make sure you're okay," she gave me a sad smile.

"It's okay. Thank you for coming. It's really nice to see you," I tried be polite.

Minji just nodded in the awkward silence that had taken over. We both looked at each other, not knowing what to say.

"Umm, Y/n... Haerin has fallen asleep...," The funeral planner suddenly told me.

I took a deep breath and looked around a bit confused. "Where is she?" I asked the planner.

"Umm, Y/n... is that her?" Minji suddenly asked.

I looked in the direction Minji was pointing at and I found Haerin sitting down and sleeping against a wall.

I sighed out of stress and stepped up to try to wake her up.

"It's best to let her sleep. She must be really tired to have fallen asleep like that," Minji tried to stop me, placing her hand on my shoulder.

Just out of the pure tiredness and overwhelming feelings, I broke a little. "Don't touch me," I smacked her hand away from me.

Minji gave a short exhaled and coldly said..., "She just looks like she needs the sleep. That's all I was saying".

"Y/n, it's okay if you want to go home. The funeral service is over anyway," The planner told me.

"Kay," I dryly answered.

I then took a deep breath and got down to pick up Haerin in my arms.

"So, she's Haerin, huh?" Minji tried to start a conversation.

I tried to get Haerin in a comfortable position in my arms, before answering... "Yup".

I was really not trying to be rude to Minji. I honestly wasn't, but I was just tired. I had spent the last few days trying to not break down and tend to people I had never seen in my life.

"So, she's like your little sister then?" Minji followed me to my car.

I stopped in my tracks.

I had never really seen Haerin as my little sister, but it wasn't the first time people had said that to me.

"She's more like a best friend," I exhaled out.

I then gently placed Haerin in my car and put on her seatbelt. I knew that I had to get home fast before I passed out just like Haerin.

"Anyway, it was nice seeing you. Thank you for coming and happy holidays," I waved my goodbyes to Minji.

"Umm, actually I know you probably don't want this.... but.... I wanted to see what you were doing for Christmas...?" Minji asked.

"Nothing. I'm not in the mood for anything," I coldly answered.

"Umm, I figured. I just wanted to let you know that a few seasonal positions opened up in my dad's company. I thought maybe working during the holidays would keep you distracted," Minji awkwardly told me.

I bit the inside of my cheek, feeling like a complete jerk.

"Umm, yeah. I'll look into it. Just text me the application or your dad's number," I answered a bit embarrassed.

Minji exhaled with a soft smile and nodded. "It's alright. I'll take care of it. You just get home and rest," she politely told me before waving me goodbye.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-