XII

Narrator

After a lot of laughs and celebration, everyone ended up passing out in Y/n's living room.

It had been a good night for everyone, specially for Y/n and Haerin. During the time they felt most alone, they learnt that they weren't.

- Y/N POV -

My eyes fluttered open from sunlight hitting my face. It was morning already and I had a slight headache.

"Ughh," I groaned in discomfort.

Soon, I realized a sleeping Minji was in my arms.

"Oh, you're awake!" I heard a familiar voice say.

It was Ms. Pham.

"Oh, you're still here," I gently pushed Minji off me and got up from the sofa to greet Hanni.

"Yes, I was waiting for you to wake up. I didn't want to be rude and leave without saying goodbye," Hanni gave me a warm smile.

"Umm, okay. I sure do hope you had a goodnight. I know it may have crossed some sort of professional boundary, but I really appreciate you joining us for the holiday," I gave her an awkward thank you.

I honestly didn't understand why Ms. Pham was so nice to us, but maybe that's what a good social worker was supposed to do.

"Thank you. I did have a lot of fun and don't worry about professionalism. I didn't come here as a social worker, but as a friend. I find you to be a very kind person with a lot of resilience," Hanni gently stroked my arm.

"Thank you," I turned a smile.

"Well, it's still Christmas for me. So, I have to go home and spend some time with my family," Ms. Pham pulled me into a hug.

"Thank you. I hope you have a good Christmas with your family," I hugged her back.

"Ummm," we suddenly heard some say to the side of us.

Hanni and I pulled away from our hug and found a sleepy Hyein in front of us.

"I don't mean to interrupt, but can I get a ride home?" She cutely asked.

"Yeah, of course!" I chuckled out.

I didn't see Hyein much, but I always found her adorable. She was very polite, silly, and very mature for her age.

"I got it. You relax and drink some water for that hangover you probably have," Ms. Pham politely placed her hand on my chest.

Her gesture caused my heart to flutter a bit.

"Is that okay?" I shyly asked Hyein.

"Mhm, that's fine!" Hyein answered.

"Okay, go grab your things. Ms. Pham will give you a ride," I nervously exhaled out.

Finally, Hanni moved her hand from my chest and cleared her throat. "So, listen..," I sighed out.

I started to get really nervous that she was going to give me bad news or say something about having to take Haerin away from me.

"I'm no longer going to be your social worker," Ms. Pham exhaled out.

"Huh?" I asked a bit confused.

"I'm actually not going to be a social worker anymore. I handed over my resignation letter a few weeks back. I know it may seem very unprofessional for me to leave a case midway, but this was a decision I had made long before I met you. I want to assure you that I chose not to leave until everything was settled for you. You don't have to worry about anything but your last evaluation. Haerin's request for therapy is already in the system, your income is more than enough for your situation, Haerin does very well in school and she has a great support system outside of you. Everything will just fine," Hanni explained.