30

Valerie POV

After having Sam for about a week, our family was starting to fall into a little routine.

I let out a deep breath as I walk into my bedroom, and look at Levi.

"Is something wrong?" He asks standing up and walking over to me.

"The kids are all asleep." I assure him and he gestures for me to continue, "Would we be financially okay if I um-"

"If you didn't work?" He asks softly and I nod.

"Before you say anything it's not that I'm trying to rely on you, I really hate my job, I hate it and I hate watching everyone I love rush into fires and everyday I risk our three kids loosing me. If not I'll find another job but-"

"Val, calm down babe." He cuts me off and I look up at him, "I would love for you to quit and stay home, and I make the money for us to do it." He assures me and I take a deep breath.

"Are you sure?"

"The house is payed for and we can rent your old house with Drake until Daniel grows up and then it would be up to him. I make roughly $160,000 a year because I'm an officer."  Levi explains and I smile at him.

"We can join our bank accounts, let Ben know you quit." He smirks as he grabs my waist and pulls me towards him, kissing my cheek.

"Our wedding night is going to be spectacular." He whispers in my ear and I have to pull away from him.

"I love you." I mumble and he just holds me for a moment.

"I promise I love you more." He smirks and I roll my eyes.

The next day, I call my brother and inform him of the decision and I can hear his relief. He's never been a fan of me wanting to run into fires and he made it clear when I started training.

I start cooking lunch and my dream of a trouble free day gets dismissed.

"Dude stop!" Gabby screeches and I hear Sam bawling his eyes out.

"Give it back!" Daniel screams and I walk out the kitchen and into the living room.

"What's goin on?" I ask and Gabby chunks the remote at me.

"Shut the hell up." She snaps as she shoves Daniel and grabs Sam, setting him in her hip.

"Okay now you're about to get your butt whooped so you might wanna tell me what's going on." I encourage and she flips me off.

I'm taken back as the front door opens and Levi walks in with a few grocery bags.

I walk over and grab Sam out her arms and set him down before picking her up and tossing her over my shoulder.

"Put me down!" She screeches and I chuckle as I carry her upstairs to her room.

"Nope, you're grounded and since I've gotta go figure out from a four year old what happened, your dad's gonna be up to spank you." I shrug as I shut her door.

"What's going on?" Levi asks and I shrug.

"I know our daughter just flipped me off, swore at me, and pushed Daniel." I snap and he pulls me still.

"I'll figure it out, you finish lunch and calm down."

By the time I finish cooking lunch, I can hear everything going on upstairs.

Gabby is not having a fun time.

"Sam, Daniel; come eat." I tell the two boys and then come into the kitchen happy.

Sam looks at the plate and starts crying.

"What's wrong?" I ask softly walking over and he shakes his head.

"I didn't do anything!" He screams and I have to think fast.

"I know you didn't, but tell me what's going on so I can fix it."

"mash 'tatos are only for bad boys! No food!" He screams and I take the plate away from him.

"No, you're a good boy and you can have as much food as you want." I explain and he looks at me shocked.

Damn foster care. If I find the parents that did this to him I'd beat them.

"Really?" He sniffles and I nod.

"If you don't like something, just tell me you don't like it." I try to explain and he nods.

"No want." He whispers and I nod, taking the mashed potatoes off his plate and replacing it with a little more Mac and cheese and an extra chicken nugget.

"See, that wasn't hard bubs." I smile as my step daughter comes walking in with tears running down her cheeks.

"I'm sorry." She whispers and Levi smacks her butt.

"Like you mean it." He warns and I glare at my basically fiancé.

"I'm really sorry Val, I promise I'll be nicer and won't say bad words anymore." She says with a lot more emotion.

"Do you want a hug?" I question and she gives me a hesitant nod.

I reach over and pull her into my arms, holding her tight.

"I don't know if I've told you this yet, but I really love you Gabs." I tell her and she goes still, "You don't have to say it, I just wanted you to know that in my eyes, you and Sam are just as much my kids as Daniel."

She starts sobbing into my shoulder and I have to keep myself from crying.

"Do you want some food?" Levi asks and Gabby nods as she pulls away.

I grab a rag off the counter I was using to dry dishes and run warm water over it.

I wash her face off as Levi makes her plate, feeling my heart tug when she sits down with a wince.

"Are you okay?" Daniel asks and Gabby nods.

Levi wraps his arms around me and kisses my cheek, giving me a sweet smile.

"Can't wait to marry you." He smirks and I roll my eyes.

He pulls me out the kitchen and into the living room, turning the music on before spinning me around.

We start dancing and before long, the kids are standing watching us.

He's holding onto my waist and rips me before leaning down and kissing  me.

"Wedding night is gonna be spectacular." He whispers as he pulls me back up